+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you agree?

Default Re: Do you agree?

I expect to catch about 10 or 15 fish on just one fly but what I expect and what I get are often two different things . Especially when dealing with toothy critters like Mayan Cichlids and Oscars or maybe Pickerel and Gar. I am always amazed at how much damage even a Bluegill can do to a fly. So I try to make my flies as durable as possible and by durable I mean adding a drop of cement or other glue at the material tie in points, a whip finish, and a cemented head, all where possible.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Generally my flies last more than one fish, but every so often a fish trashes my new fly. If it is a 24" trout, the better.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

i get 10-15 fish on the flies that i tie and i usually use 17/0 or 8/0.
    but i always have more than one of a pattern in my box. so really i wouldnt care if he thrashed it. and if i didnt have another of that same fly............oh well thats my fault.

If my fly catches a fish, it has done its job, and done it well. I am happy.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

I would not be satisfied. I do not set a quota for my flies but barring extenuating circumstances if my fly "fell apart" I would consider it a failure of my tying technique. That is not a goal when I tie.

I have to agree with TyroneFly.
    If a fish, and I don't care how big it was, tear's up my fly after I spent at least 2- 7min. tying it. Not to mention selecting only the best materials and maybe having to make a special trip to the fly shop & kill another 40 min. (Round trip) then only to find out they don't have (exactly what you need) SOOOO now you have to mail order it & wait 2 -3 freaking! weeks for that special material that you (just have got to have), cuz it wouldn't be rite not to tie it correctly "PER ALL THE PRO TYIER'S OUT THERE". And OH YAH! It's not the rite color so now you have to **** around & dye the Hair , Feathers or whatever. And now forget about going out to have fun, forget about doing stuff around the house, forget about that TV show that you been wanting to see CUZ! now you got to tie that fly so you can use it on that fishing trip you have been planning.

And a fish is going to TRASH IT! I don't think so! THAT FISH IS DEAD. I'm going to kick it *** and then EAT 'EM!

BUD!

time for another rum & coke!

Heck I've had flies that got trashed even before I caught a fish by the dreaded Weed or Tree Gods. Usually I get anywhere from 4 to 8 fish per fly. My problem is catching anywhere from 4 to 8 fish......

This is an easy question for me to answer .......... I'd stand in the river all day long giving up a fly for every 24 inch trout. It's a no-brainer for me. I'd go through every fly I had. One fly for one 24 inch trout -- I'd do it all day long with a smile on my face. I can count on four fingers how many 24 inch trout I've caught . That being said, the flies I tie are very durable. I'll usually break my line/tippet before one of my flies come apart. In fact, I can't remember a fly coming apart, with the lone exception of a woolly bugger. It fell apart because I failed to add cement to the thread wraps after I tied off.

Hi,
    I'm not happy if the fly falls apart after one fish, no matter how large, if it's because of something like the head comming apart. This is usually do to my failure to tie off properly. However, I've had flies come apart because the trout's teeth cut through the floss body, or the pheasant tail fibres, etc. When that happens, I figure the fly has done it's job and these are the risks one takes. Since I end up tying far more than I probably need, this doesn't bother me.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Quote Originally Posted by hcmiller
    I have to agree with TyroneFly.
    If a fish, and I don't care how big it was, tear's up my fly after I spent at least 2- 7min. tying it. Not to mention selecting only the best materials and maybe having to make a special trip to the fly shop & kill another 40 min. (Round trip) then only to find out they don't have (exactly what you need) SOOOO now you have to mail order it & wait 2 -3 freaking! weeks for that special material that you (just have got to have), cuz it wouldn't be rite not to tie it correctly "PER ALL THE PRO TYIER'S OUT THERE". And OH YAH! It's not the rite color so now you have to **** around & dye the Hair , Feathers or whatever. And now forget about going out to have fun, forget about doing stuff around the house, forget about that TV show that you been wanting to see CUZ! now you got to tie that fly so you can use it on that fishing trip you have been planning.

And a fish is going to TRASH IT! I don't think so! THAT FISH IS DEAD. I'm going to kick it *** and then EAT 'EM!

BUD!

time for another rum & coke!
    Bud,
    I want to congratulate you on the 'RANT' of the DAY!!!!!!!!!!
    Hope to read more of them in the future.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread