I was all fired up for my second attempt with the fly rod this morning. When I get to the Prairie River winds are about 20, so I end up just throwing weighted streamers with the ultra light. I've been fishing for trout this way for a few weeks and have been modestly successfull. When I see a trout move around my fly, it has been hitting it, today I had a few follows and swirls but no hits. We had a cold front move in and was wondering if this affects trout similar to other fish. I am using a larger size - # 2 hook.
Are there flies/techniques which are better for use during cold fronts
When fishing streamers with the ultralight, I am using a reel -twitch - reel retrieve, faster fishing upstream vs downstream. When flyfishing wooly buggers or streamers would I want to duplicate this approach when pulling in line?
Two more questions
Other than during a hatch, is there any reason to use dry flies and not use wet flies?

I'm trying to get my wife interested in wading the rivers and would like to find someplace to take her that has easy wading and a good possibility for catching a reasonable amount of fish, any kind of fish.
We are in northcentral Wisconsin, the Wausau area.