+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: braided loops

Default Re: braided loops

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk
    backwoods,
    Give this a try. I no longer use those loop connectors.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/k ... twell.html

Castwell knot.
    Though I posted above, I don't use braided loops for line/leader connections. For line/leader I nail knot a piece of mono to the end of my fly line, and use a perfection loop on the end.

The braided loops I use are for the backing/line connection. I but a Bimini Twist loop in the backing, put the braided loop on the fly line and loop them together. The Bimini Twist loop is large enough to go over the reel or spool. I do this, so I can change fly lines on my larger (6wt and larger) fly reels. My 4 and 5 wts are simply nail knotted.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I quite using them too...but to heat I used a plumber's air heater...suppose a hair dryer would work too....heat is pretty well controlled....never used an iron....on shirts either

backwoods, the Cabelas website has a simplified Perfection Loop. I couldn't tie the normal one, but I learned the simple one after a few minutes, and it has been a godsend! Just go to the Cabelas website, search up "perfection loop" on the side will be a green and white box that says "NARROW YOUR RESULTS" click on articles, and you are there! hope it helps.

nen-bran

You mean my Granny knot for the backing to line is not going to work?!?!

i use a improved albright for my backing to line knot and its a pretty easy knot to tie once you know it,,, its never failed me.

or you can take it to a fly shop and either for free or a couple bucks they will tie loops and knots for you.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
    You mean my Granny knot for the backing to line is not going to work?!?!
    Works great if you are attaching your fly line to your shoe laces!

Normand Guest

backwoods:

If you decide NOT to try some of the other solutions offered; check out the [url=http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=82:d8375]Rio Braided Loops[/url:d8375]. They LOOK just like the Cortland loops that everybody sells but they incorporate a short section of rubberized plastic that DOESN'T require shrinking with heat.

The rubberized gizmo grips the fly line and the end of the loop. The Rio loops come in three sizes so you need to buy the right size for the fly line you plan to use it on.

Good luck!

backwoods,

I used store bought braided loops for years without problems until last Sunday. That's when the loop on my daughter's line came undone. She was left with a straight piece of braided mono attached to the end of her fly line. Luckily we were only setting up when it happened.

I wouldn't stop using braided loops based on one failure. The loop on this one was just poorly spliced. If I use them in the future, however, I will make my own. Until then, a short section of leader material with a perfection loop on one end is needle knotted to my daughter's fly line.

Regards,
    Tracy
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

The Castwell Knot!!

+ Reply to Thread