I headed out with my friend, Capt. Rick Grassett of the Snook Fin-Addict on Tuesday, July 10. Our goal was tarpon. Most anglers around here consider the season over at the end of June. The large schools of tarpon usually move offshore to spawn on the full moon in June. When the fish return, the schools are broken up.

We anchored in shallow water after we determined the migration route. After fine-tuning our position, we had numerous shots at tarpon. I was using a 12-weight fly rod, intermediate sinktip line, 20-pound fluorocarbon leader, 80-pound fluoro shock leader and a Mr. Blackie fly.

I had 2-3 fish follow the fly. I had another all but inhale it (Rick kept yelling, "He ate it! He ate it!" I never got tight on that fish. A little while later, four fish swam toward the boat. I put the fly about 10 feet in front of the lead tarpon. That fish followed the fly, then turn off. I picked the line up and made another cast. The lead fish seemed to spook, but the second fish followed and ate.

The battle lasted slightly more than an hour. The fish made at least 10 jumps and was very determined. We estimated the tarpon at 85 pounds.

Weather permitting, the action should remain good for 2-3 more weeks.