+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Query Re: Vancouver Island

Default Query Re: Vancouver Island

I'm planning to visit Vancouver Island in August. I'm in nead of any fishing tips for the southern part of the island near Sooke. If anyone on the board is familiar with this area I would aprreciate comments on where to fish for trout and for salmon. Any suggestions reguarding fly selection would also be welcome.

I plan to hire a guide in Whistler early in the week and I suppose I will be able to gleen some information during that trip, but it won't hurt to have some tips from the seasoned fisherpersons on this board.

I am planning to take a 4 wt. for trout and an 8 wt. for salmon.

Thanks for your help
    tl

Default Re: Query Re: Vancouver Island

Blog Entries

Check out this link.

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/fishing/?id=11

Also if your taking a car and or towing a boat the Ferry Service to Vancouver Island will cost you About $40.00 each way for a regular sized vehicle plus $1.65 a foot for each foot over 20ft long.

If your vehicle is over 7 feet tall such as a van with a canoe on it the price goes up to around $70.00 each way.
    something to think about.

I lived on the extreme northern end of the Island so don't know much about the Sooke area except fishing in the barkley bay area near Tofino. We used Trolled Polar bear bucktails with great success way back in the 1960's .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Look up Brian Niska and friends at the Whistler Flyshop, good people. He or one of the other guys will be able to steer you in the right direction.

jon

I have to echo Shaggy's advice. I fished with them back in the last week in April and had a blast - though I didn't manage to keep the steelhead on the hook!

Brian and his crew will take good care of you. (http://www.whistlerflyfishing.com/)

I fished up near Squamish and also out on the Veder in Chilliwak (please don't hold my spelling against me). Given the chance to do it again, I'd stay up in Squamish and Whistler areas rather than heading east again. The guide service will bring you all the gear you need, but I would definitely pack your waders - and rod, of course.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

I will be fishing there on Sun Aug 12. I just want to clarify for you - Whistler is on the mainland in the Rockies and Sooke is on Vancouver Island on the west side - they are about 3 hous by car plus 2 hours by ferry appart. Are you realy going to be in both places?

Near Sooke it is possible to fish in the bay for sea run cutthroat early in the morning, although spinning gear makes it easier. There is also a small stream with a very long mouth from the highway to the ocean just north of Sooke. I don't know about inland around there, however there is a fishing and fly shop in Sooke. If you are in Victoria or passing through I suggest stopping at the Island Outfitters http://www.fishingvictoria.com/index.asp

Thanks to all who have replied.

Ihave booked my Whistler guide through Whistler Fly Fishing. I booked them after I found favorable references on this board. I'm very pleased that more board members are in agreement that this outfit is well received.

JC, Your article suggests that one could fish the surf for salmon. Is this true?

And yes, I will be in both places. 4 days in Whistler and 4 days on Vancouver Island. When in a region such as B.C. one must pack in as much as one can!

We're panning to check out the gardens, grizzlies, orca, and maybe also a salt water charter for salmon.

I'll let you know the results. Hope to have good pictures too.

tlooze,
    I've been around the block a few times including Vancouver Island. AND I wish I had gone around THAT one at least twice. It's one of the most scenic places we've ever visited.I fished the salt there and assure all that NO fish were injured by my hook, "pilot error" no doubt, as Rusty Gates would say.
    Have a great time. It would be hard NOT TO.

Mark

Your a lucky person to get the pleasure of fishing there. I spent some time in Olympic National Park and then Vancouver Island and up the British Columbian coastline. Absolutely Breathtaking and I want to go back!!!! By far my favorite place in the world...

10. Default Re: Query Re: Vancouver Island

Late August on Vancouver Island is Pink season. Nearly every river on the island gets them, it can be crowded, however there are usually plenty of fish to go arround. It's an awesome place there are several great fly shops on the island, they will be more than happy to help you out!

+ Reply to Thread