We have been having abnormally hot temperatures here for the past month or so and the lakes, ponds and rivers are pretty low and really warm. I spent a few hours last week from about 7 til 9ish in the evening at a pond I always catch fish at. Even at that time I only caught 2 decent gills and a smaller LMB and they all came within 10 minutes of each other just after 9 o'clock when the sun went behind the trees. Then it was like they all knew at the same time "Ok, dinner bell, lets eat!" They started taking bugs off the top and hit my buggers like they were starving to death.

Most people that I have talked to tell me that when it gets this hot it isn't even worth fishing during the day. My thought is, well the fish are still feeding--they're fish. You just have to get down to where they are. I read some articles in the Panfish archives yesterday and got the feeling that you can still catch warm water species fish in the heat of the day. In fact, several articles mentioned that you can find em with poppers and dries during the middle of the day. Well, I didn't see a single fish util the sun went down.

So, what are your mid summer fishing tactics? What time of day are you still catching fish?