Hi, folks--I'm new here and want to thank the powers that be for developing this site.

I'm a split cane guy. I've fished these things since a child and have restored/maintained several Heddon and South Bend my father and I have owned for years. Some I've given to friends and they really like them but they don't fish them much because they were trained on graphite. I suppose it is sort of like playing tennis and racquetball--one can be mediocre at both but not really great at either. Trouble is, friends are now asking me to tie them graphite and I don't know hoot about graphite. I've read some literature, which really didn't teach me much and I've studied several great pubs from this site, which did teach me a lot.

I think I'd like to stay with a medium action which replicates cane somewhat, even though cane is much, much slower. I also think I'd like to stay with lenght between 8 and 9 since most of us fish Arkansas trout and panfish waters.

Mostly, I'm asked to tie 4 weights.

Question: I note that most wraps are sealed with some form of epoxy. Why can't I seal my wraps with the same spar varnish I use on cane?

Question: Is there a really good read on designing and building graphite and is graphite the only space age material available, i.e., boron?

Question: I was really freaked out on high modulus graphite problems, like breaking from a bead head strike, so should I opt for more durable moderate modulus rods and what is the real difference?

So many questions, thanks in advance.

Beyond that, any suggestions from you are most appreciated.