+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finding the good deals

Default finding the good deals

Im a newbie and I have found that this hobby can get rather expensive. Yestarday I had a chance to shop the Orvis outlet up in Delaware and all I can say is wow. I got there just before closing and while there wasnt a big selection of fishing stuff the prices are great!!!!! where eles can you get good flys for $1 each and salt flys for $2 each!!!! Also the rods seemed much cheaper .The saleslady promises everything 40% or more less then the catalog!
    Anyone eles been to a Orvis outlet?

Default Re: finding the good deals

May I be the first today to say welcome. Don't know what part of MD you're from, but there is a regularly scheduled three day Orivis outlet sale held (usually in the spring) out in Chantilly, VA. If you look at the Orvis site and navigate through their index you'll be able to locate upcoming warehouse outlet sales. Now if you happen up to Vermont, the flagship store and surrounding outlets are worth the venture.

Have done several outlet sales / know your prices, but generally good deals. Have gotten some good prices on clothing as well as a few fishing items. No guaranteed inventory, so it is pot luck so to speak. Hope this helps, MPK

(HAD to edit...head cold has me in the right church, just wrong pew...thnx)
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

Not New Hampshire... Manchester Vermont
    And they have an close-out outlet just for fly fishing stuff
    It's in the old bamboo rod manufacturing shop
    Not a real lot of stuff, but worth the stop if you're in the area

Oh yeah.. welcome to the fun
    Don't listen to the guy who tells all the new folks that they need to wipe their feet.
    I wear my waders in here all the time
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thanks for the welcome. I went by there again today and picked up a few more flys. The gal in there once again gave me a extra 10% off.
    I purchased some 4 wt Green Mt. Line ($13)there for a cheap rod I purchased in hopes my son will give it a shot. Is that Green Mt. line any good?

good deal for flies is find fly tier freind pay his meterial cost 1.50 for small flies 2.50 big one for pike.
    in store its 2.50 small one and 6.00 pike i know meterial cost so were he gets prices i dont know.
    i know when i get line 40 is work one name brand i use outher name one 65 bucks a roll
    and usally 13 buck line is someting some has used or came of one of those chhep kits,
    wish i had cabelas here there good stuff for the buck. but if u go online you get good deals.
    but like u got bargin bin take coffe choclate snack to counter girl and maybe 50 perecnt of ifs shes giveing 10 percent bring gifts 50 percent. dinner is free bee.

Having been at this for a modest amount fo time I have to say that a buck a fly is no "real deal". At the Orvis events you can get a pretty good deal at times. First of all you had better know the prices on every thing that you are buying or you will come up at a serious disadvantage.The last event I was at the hackle they had "discounted " was selling at the same price as in the catalog. They had marked it up just to mark it down. Talk about flim Flam!
    Many times you can get the same product elsewhere at significantly lower costs except it wont say "Orvis" any where on it. Just because it says Orvis doesnt mean that it is a great product.
    As for the "seconds" store in Manchester? It was way ,way overpriced at my last visit.
    Dont get me wrong, I have a lot of good Orvis stuff. Just be aware of what you are getting. They dont make most of what they sell. You are most certainly paying for the logo and the name.

JRA,

I was going to point you to some fly shops north of Baltimore but I see you are on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. So I suggest you check out the Sponsers page here on FAOL. You can get some good deals there for flies and other equipment. Also check out the For Sale Items on the BB here too. The closest shop to me is an Orvis Company store and I do shop there if I need something quick. I have nothing against Orvis and happen to have 5 or 6 of their reels and I use their leaders and tippet and fly line too. Like the other gentleman said if you do some searching you can find deals.

Welcome to fly fishing and FAOL.

Dot
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

After showing someone the flys I purchased they pointed out something I didnt knoe being a newbie. A few arent on the proper size hooks . While I still came out ahead after doing some searching you guys are correct ...theres mo deals out there. My problem is Im still learning so I dont always know what things should cost.
    By the way perch you are correct I found sever discounted items at the Orvis outlet that are even cheaper on Orvis' website... go figure.

JRA,
    Try fishing with a Guide. You will find that you can simplify your flyfishing purchase's to a smaller group.
    Fly Shops will sell you everything and you don't need everything.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

actually the shop closest to him is pretty good, i use it also. the owner seems to only sell you what you want or will need. hes even told me that i dont need that but if i want it he would sell it to me. real nice guy
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

+ Reply to Thread