Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
Joe;
I can't find the posts on the rod tube you built and painted!? I'm making a rod holder for the ODC 816 and want to paint it to match.
What steps did you take to get the great finish?
I'm posting here because others may want to know how.
Jack,

Here's the post about the painted PVC rod tube: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18913

Basically, I just wiped down the outside of the tube, cap and plug with mineral spirits and painted it. I drilled a 1/8" hole in the top of the screw cap and put a piece of #12 bare wire thru the hole, bent it over, screwed the cap back down (hand tight), hung it from the garage door rail, and painted it with Rust-Oleum plastic spray paint. I did it with three thin coats rather than a heavy coat so it would not run, and let it hang overnight before handling it. You can also use string and tie a washer inside the cap in lieu of wire

SPECIAL NOTE: Allow the tube to air out for a couple of days after gluing it up. I noticed a residual odor from the glue (solvent based vapor/odor) in the tube, so I let them air out outside on my picnic table until the odor is gone. I don't know if the heavy odor will do any harm to a rod, but I'm not taking any chances on messing up a rod because of impatience.

Good luck and post a picture when you're done.

Joe