+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reels,

Default Reels,

I am looking at new reels and am just wondering if anyone has the pfluger trion, the one I was looking at is stainless steel its a abit heavier than most modern reels but seems to be more sturdy. The reason I am getting a new reel is that my last one a cabelas csr was in the case and dropped a few feet and it bent so that it couldnt reel. I was able to straighten in back to where it reels and use it but now that I am getting another rod that is part of my consideration. Thanks

wire

Default Re: Reels,

the trion is machined alum, ive got a 1990, its a solid reel, no complaints or issues
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

wireguy1,
    I use a Pflueger Trion model # 1956 on my 6 weight rod. And, I'm very happy with it. It seems to have a bit larger cranking radius, and for these old hands that's a blessing. The knob is polished wood and swollen, making it easier for me to hang on to. It's machined and ported, yet still just a bit heavy. I think it would be well suited for an 8 weight. I'm sure the drag would handle really PO'd steelhead but the drag knob is a bit difficult for me. It's a low profile knob which is good because there is nothing for the line to hang up on, but a bit hard for me to make quick adjustments during a frenzied tussle. I found mine at Sportsman's Warehouse for $79 on sale and consider it well worth the $$$. I think Orvis has the same reel and calls it something like the "Mid Arbor Guide" model. Not sure about that one.
    Long story short; I like mine and I'm keeping it.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

ive heard nothing bad about the pflueger reels

+ Reply to Thread