+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No, Thank You Son...

Default No, Thank You Son...

Please forgive this post, but I've been thinking about doing it for some time....

I taught my oldest to fly fish when he was 8 years old. He is soon to turn 20 and is back from college for the summer.

On the day he left for school, I told mamma that we had to run an errand. We went to our favorite pond for one last quick bluegill. As we were leaving, he told me "Thanks for teaching me to fly fish, Dad".

Nope, Thank you son.

Thanks for being my fishing partner for the past twelve years.

This is how we spent our 4th of July this year. My youngest son was in NYC with his youth group, so I'll have to post pictures of my other fishing partner in another thread.

These were our last two fish of the day (a double).

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Default Re: No, Thank You Son...

Wow, I hope this is not a duplicate. Got a strange error when trying to post.

Thank you for sharing your story. It's great to see that kind of relationship.

My son is 12 and we took up fly fishing this summer and have been having a blast. We've spent a number of mornings out fishign for bluegill, smallmouth bass, and even trout with our fly rods.

I hope someday to be able to share a story like yours with my fishing partner / adult son.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

That is almost indescribably wonderful and I hope to have the same with my son someday.

Wishing you both nothing but the very best (although you already seem to have it!)

http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com
    http://robinsrumination.blogspot.com

I thank God every time we pack our gear and head out to fish for our time together. Bluegill, bass, smallmouth, or trout, it doesn't matter.

Some days I sit on the bank and watch them fish and don't even wet a line. When they tell me to get fishing I tell them I'm busy taking mental photographs. This day I actually brought along a camera.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Could be the most important memory your Son will ever have is fishing with you. You are wise to sit on the bank and be a Advisor to your Son sometimes, then you can file away BIGGER mental pictures for later.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I had a similar experience a month ago. I took my 3 sons (youngest is 19) on a wilderness camping trip to an area that is well known for smallmouth. The fishing was great. The 20 incher elluded us but we caught so many 16+ inchers that it didn't seem to matter. My sons declared it our "all time best fishing trip". I agreed... but not for the fishing. This was the first time in many years I got to fly fish with all my sons at the same time.
    caribe

+ Reply to Thread