+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does everyone.....

Blog Entries

Default How does everyone.....

Catch carp on a fly? I'm probably using a fly that won't work worth beans, but, what about presentation, floating, sinking, etc? How do you folks do it? I have a nice deep pool where I practice fishing. There's lots of rockies in there, some smallies, but lots and lots of big carp!!

If anyone could please help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks,
    Shane

Default Re: How does everyone.....

Shane

I catch them by accident. I can't say that I have ever targeted them specifically. This past Saturday morning I was fishing a river for smallies. On my second cast using a foxee clouser, wham! Turned out to be a 2# carp. Heck of a fight on a 5wt.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I use a dough ball fly
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I use a fly I call CDC Corn Fly for Carp. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

If they are not feeding, you can forget it. You do need to get the fly down to where they are feeding. As for hooks, I would recommend staying between a #12 and #6. I've caught them on a #10 BH Lil Bugger, a #8 Craw, and a #6 Barry's Carp Fly.

If you see the puffs of mud while they are feeding, watch to see which way they are moving as they feed. Try and cast your fly close, especially in stained water. In a river situation, it can just become nymphing like you would for Trout.

Check out the site below for Carp flies. The guy here who specializes in guided Carp trips uses only 3 flies - Barry's Fly, the Lil Bugger, and Clouser's Swimming Nymph

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/c-219-carp.aspx
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot for the information. I'll pay attention to see if they're feeding When I was down there last, they were just swimming around.

I'll have to buy some more flies. All I have right now is a cheapo set from Canadian Tire, something to get me started.

Thanks again everyone,
    Shane

Spin some blue or purple deer hair on a hook to make about a half inch long football shape, find a muhlberry tree hanging over the water when the berries are dropping, and cast it right in there. Granted, it's seasonal, but makes for some quick pandamonium.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

if you see them tailing they will take a crayfish fly or a nymph. They are very spooky so your approach and cast must be extremely steathly

9. Default Re: How does everyone.....

caught one on a glo bug

+ Reply to Thread