+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing shoulder bags

Default Re: Fly fishing shoulder bags

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Jeff Mancini, owner of East Coast Fisherman, Inc makes some awesome bags.

Take a look at his Small size LTC Bag. It is my Shoulder Bag on the salt water flats.

http://www.eastcoastfisherman.com/
    Hmmm! That's a tad bit more than I want to spend.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave
    Hmmm! That's a tad bit more than I want to spend.
    Dave:

IF you are interested in one of those bags; IF I recall correctly; I THINK East Coast Fisherman sets up a booth at the Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, NJ in the spring. While I realize you are far away and the next show is 7 months away; quite few FAOL'ers go to that show and may be able to help you out; I would but I don't go to the show.

They are great bags BTW; my buddy has one and got it for considerably less at Somerset.

AnglerDave -

I can't vouch for this site but check http://www.sierraoutdoorproducts.com/products.html. They have a Wood River bag listed.

Anglerdave -

Here's another option, a bag from Clear Creek (right down there in Iowa). See it offered at Sierra Trading Post - http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4305,75280_.html. There's also a nice photo and description at http://www.vaughncochranart.com/cart/pr ... uctId=4076

I have German "gas mask bag"(?) that I purchased twenty years ago at an Army/Navy surplus that has been on hundreds of fly fishing/hunting trips. I also makes a great little boat bag.
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

I use gas mask bags also. Mine were Swiss.
    I bought a fist full of them years ago at $.50 each
    Even though I gave some away, I still have one for my binoculars and bird book, and two for fishing.
    One for the surf, one for river smallies
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I use a trap/skeet shotgun shell bag or 2 small boxes in my shirt

Bud

If you're looking to go cheap, grab your wife/girl friend/daughter (to avoid funny looks from other customers and sales people) and head to the women's handbag section in Walmart. (As per my daughter, Walmart has ugly purses compared to Target, so Walmart is where you want to look.) Sometimes you can find some decent bags that don't look too much like a purse. After you hang a few zingers, forceps, your license and what not on them your good to go. They also usually have lots of pockets inside and out too. Prices are less than $10. The ones I got are black nylon with detectable/adjustable shoulder straps and have held up quite well. They are so cheap, I've got a few setup for different waters, a trout bag, a smallie bag and one for ponds/panfish and an other for spin fishing.

For a few buck more, you could check out the camera bags too. I have a friend that uses one. They are a bit more rigid due to the padding so you have to get one that will fit your flyboxes.

Take a look at William Joseph OLD SCHOOL bag. With its wide mouth magnetic opening and a tool mesh pocket in the front it look like a winner shoulder bag. But I haven't seen one in the flesh . Still I'm drawn by it's simplicity.

I have a wonderful L.L. Bean bag. I have been made fun of by the other kids because it looks kinda like a purse but it has been great. I can easily fit two or three big fly boxes in it and I can just hang it over my shoulder and I barely notice it.

P.S. I couldn't find it on the website but they might still sell it somewhere. Good luck!
    BC

+ Reply to Thread