+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Fish-In Report

Default Michigan Fish-In Report

Well we are back home, Fish-In was a sucess saw both old and new "Family " members, fished some, welcomed "Old' and "New" swapped Yarn's Spent a lot of time just sitting by the AuSable with Friends both old and new, watching the water and the "Aluminum Hatch"(bikini hatch). Pictures and more detail will be forthcoming.
    There will be a 2008 Michigan Fish-in possibily in September of 08.
    Watch for upcoming details.
    Bill
    P.S. check with Joe V for the bikini pics

Default Re: Michigan Fish-In Report

Hey Bill,
    It was nice seeing you and Jean again along with the rest of the attendees. I too had a great time fishing and spinning yarns around the fire pit. Too bad we missed "the hatch" and all those huge browns this year. We'll just have to try again next year. I'm only very sorry our schedule forced us to leave before the cook-out. That smoker was putting out some powerful mouth watering aromas . I'm curious if the weather cooperated for that feast and the Grayling fireworks show after. We hit the road early in anticipation of heavy bottom of the lake traffic but to our surprise, there was NONE. Apparently a mid-week holiday just isn't enough motivation for folks to travel far from home.
    Well, again, it was fun and we're looking forward to more of the same next year.

Mark
    PS: I too have some pics of the doins that I'll forward to the home office.

I had a great time allbeit short at the MI FI: chatting with Dick about the intricacies of canoe packing and paddling, spending time with Jean and her fantastic quilts, meeting with the two lovebirds and their Keystone Landing love story which continues to this day, stealing some more furling knowledge from Kaboom while listening to his wonderful stories, watching Mark 'practice' his hook removal skill on Luba, getting an autographed copy of Au Sable River Tales from Rusty, pretending to enjoy a couple of charcoal hockey pucks at breakfast with Joe V., seeing that Jack hasn't been "southernized" yet, enjoying Mata Kuwapi and Bill's gentle company at supper, appreciating BD's humor and kindness looking after some 'stuff' I left, watching Joe Sprys who ties flies...and so much more and I was only there for two days. I am a teacher so if it were to be held in September, I doubt that I could get away but whatever works for the group is best; I just know that I would have to miss it. Special thanks to Brad, Jean and BD for ?organizing? the antics...er...Fish-In.
    Cordially
    mcsteff
    p.s. to Joe V.-I would like nothing more than to share a room across from you and Dick at the next FI as long as it's not at the WL! Thanks for bringing up the toon; it was much appreciated. I hope I can return the favor someday. BTW, did you ever find the van?

Quote Originally Posted by mcsteff
    p.s. to Joe V.-I would like nothing more than to share a room across from you and Dick at the next FI as long as it's not at the WL! Thanks for bringing up the toon; it was much appreciated. I hope I can return the favor someday. BTW, did you ever find the van?
    mcsteff,

We really enjoyed your company, and Dick & I both agreed that without you being there we would have been lost for enlightened conversation.

We came in off the float at 4:00, and our host had told us that he would be returning from Grayling about 2:00 p.m. so we could retrieve the van (for a $10 charge) at Smith Bridge. Well, not only was he not there at 4:00, but when contacted by cell phone we learned he would not return for about 2 additional hours. I ended up borrowing a vehicle from one of the workers (?) so we could get the van, and I gave him $20 for his kindness (said vehicle had a speed limitation of 47 mph due to some mechanical issues). We gathered up the canoe, made our dinner on the camp stove, cleaned up the dishes and put everything away, and were just leaving for Rusty's when "His Highness" returned at 6:45 (sans any apology or explanation for inconveniencing his guests).

We have stayed at WL for the last time, and have chalked it up as a "learning experience." The balance of our time at Gates Au Sable Lodge was very relaxing, and the entire staff there was gracious as anyone could hope for. The meals in the restaurant were first class and reasonably priced, and we ended up taking more meals there than we had planned. IMHO, I cannot think of a better place to hold the Fish-In than Rusty's place.

Glad you had a good time, and I look forward to fishing with you in the future. BTW, Jack brought my Au Sable guide to my room later that evening. Glad that you got to use it for access opportunities.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

My take:
    Superman!
    The screen tent that says you've arrived.
    Those inside who welcome you.
    Good planning from the planning team.
    Rustys flies.
    His wifes cooking.
    Catching and releasing blondes.
    Chasin' the bread hawgs.
    Deb who seemed to never let a non-fishing moment go by.
    Private casting lessons from Ladyfisher and Castwell!
    Spikes burgers!
    Fishing a couple of times with the Colonel.
    Night fishing with Ed.
    Jean doing a fine job off the dock.
    The trico hatch the first morning! Wow!
    That tasty, juicy, tender roast beef! Stand up and take a bow, chefs!
    The casting games and the devious soul who made up the 2 weight shoot-out!
    The perfect casting form of that that mini-Flamming gent!
    Getting haunted by that rod of Tigs!
    More sticks to cast than you could shake a stick at!
    Brookies, brookies and more brookies.
    Easy wading rivers.
    Perfect weather!
    Meeting new friends.
    All-in-all, it was a VERY good time. Can't wait until next year!

Thanks to all who made this a great event!

Just got home about 12 midnight MI time. EdD will be the "last man home" when he gets back to Nashville.
    What a great time and we'll be there next year for sure!!
    I think a great idea for a contest next year would be desigining a successful "Bread Crust Fly"!
    I found Brad's furled leader tool box in the Board Room and Rusty is sending it to him UPS.

P.S. Jackster failed to mention that he wond both the contests!!

Here's Jackster's future competition. Gooddness, was this kid good or what? Thanks, Jim, for spending time with him so we could enjoy watching him cast. You're a great Dad.

Check out the double haul!

The perfect release!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Here's Jackster's winning style in the distance casting competition.

Deb's (Mato Kuwapi) casting style

and Kaboom's crow's nest that took half his time to clear.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Nice pics - looks like a good trip too. I wonder if I could make it in 2008....
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Blog Entries

A few other thoughts from the Michigan Fish-In...

"Are they out of perch?" (never happened)
    "That's OK, it's barbless"
    "Watch out for the falls" (to the canoers, there were no falls)
    "We missed the hex hatch"
    "Was that an Iso?"
    "Bread pool"
    "This place is beautiful"
    "Where are you fishing tonight?"
    Aluminas flotilla (canoe hatch)
    Aluminas flotilla ejecta (trash thrown out by the canoe hatch)
    "Bead head Adams"
    "New color"
    "Last night I couldn't cast right-handed."
    "Did you get pictures of the kids."

Au Sable slam!

"I hope I can make it back next year!"

+ Reply to Thread