You may, or may not be aware that there is a budget battle being fought in the state capital as you read this post. I am not going into the politics of that battle except to inform you that is does affect your fishing in our state. Specifically, our state parks and state launch sites. Here is what I found out today:

I went to the local park office to see what effect a shutdown, if any, will have on our ability to access our boats moored at the parks and fishing in general. I suspected that the press releases stating that only the camping facilities would be closed was wrong. I was correct. The park management informed that, if a budget is not passed this weekend, all state park facilities will be closed to all, repeat all, activities. No fishing, boating, access to boats left at their rented moorings, hiking, swimming, camping or picnicking. Furthermore, if the shut down happens, the gates to the parks will close at midnight Sunday night. There will be no security provided for boats not removed prior to the shutdown should such an event occur. Some park managers will be available to help you get your boat out after a shutdown but you must call them first and they will accompany you while you remove your boat. Anyone caught on the park grounds during a shutdown will be asked to leave and can be fined. I was told that during the last shutdown several boats were vandalized.

I called a very popular local radio talk show and the host talked to me on the air. He also assumed that the press release was correct and did not know that the facilities would be completely closed. This fellow is a very popular host, I will not name him here, and I want to thank him for the wonderful conversation and help. He also had a state senator on the show, after I talked to him, and it sounds to me like there will be no budget signing. I believe this shutdown is a sure thing.

In short, listen to the news, be ready to change any plans involving state facilities and get ready to pull out any boats, canoes, kayaks that you have moored in state parks. If no budget, or extension, is signed today I will pull my canoe out Saturday.

I have not heard anything about how this will impact our hatcheries and our W.C.O. enforcement officers.