+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention Anyone Fishing In Pennsylvania, This Is Important!

nighthawk Guest

Default Attention Anyone Fishing In Pennsylvania, This Is Important!

You may, or may not be aware that there is a budget battle being fought in the state capital as you read this post. I am not going into the politics of that battle except to inform you that is does affect your fishing in our state. Specifically, our state parks and state launch sites. Here is what I found out today:

I went to the local park office to see what effect a shutdown, if any, will have on our ability to access our boats moored at the parks and fishing in general. I suspected that the press releases stating that only the camping facilities would be closed was wrong. I was correct. The park management informed that, if a budget is not passed this weekend, all state park facilities will be closed to all, repeat all, activities. No fishing, boating, access to boats left at their rented moorings, hiking, swimming, camping or picnicking. Furthermore, if the shut down happens, the gates to the parks will close at midnight Sunday night. There will be no security provided for boats not removed prior to the shutdown should such an event occur. Some park managers will be available to help you get your boat out after a shutdown but you must call them first and they will accompany you while you remove your boat. Anyone caught on the park grounds during a shutdown will be asked to leave and can be fined. I was told that during the last shutdown several boats were vandalized.

I called a very popular local radio talk show and the host talked to me on the air. He also assumed that the press release was correct and did not know that the facilities would be completely closed. This fellow is a very popular host, I will not name him here, and I want to thank him for the wonderful conversation and help. He also had a state senator on the show, after I talked to him, and it sounds to me like there will be no budget signing. I believe this shutdown is a sure thing.

In short, listen to the news, be ready to change any plans involving state facilities and get ready to pull out any boats, canoes, kayaks that you have moored in state parks. If no budget, or extension, is signed today I will pull my canoe out Saturday.

I have not heard anything about how this will impact our hatcheries and our W.C.O. enforcement officers.

nighthawk Guest

Default Re: Attention Anyone Fishing In Pennsylvania, This Is Important!

Here is the press release:

http://www.wgal.com/news/13632145/detail.html

Note that it says " State Parks Campgrounds". That is wrong. The parks will be completely closed.

It's interesting to see that there are other states whose lawmakers are as dysfunctional and uncooperative as those in my state. Like spoiled children who have no accountability or repercussions for their inability to get a job done by its deadline, they will drag their feet, allow the deadline to pass and a shutdown to occur, then spend their time pointing the finger of blame at the other side of the aisle. They care not who gets hurt while they bicker among themselves, and will surely have an excuse why THEY were not part of the problem. IMO, if a budget is not reached by its deadline (in any state), the sitting lawmakers should be removed from office immediately, and their seats filled by temporary workers from the local Manpower offices. Isn't that the way it works in the REAL world? If you can't deliver in a timely manner, you are promptly replaced...no if's, and's or butts! It's bye, bye, loser. I'm sure the Manpower workers can do the same job, or maybe even better.

I digress before I get removed from this site.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Hey Nighthawk, that is bad news for the public in your part of the world. Can you realy be fined for being in a state park? Surely if it is a state park it belongs to the peaple of the state and if it belongs to you - you can not be trespassing!
    Anyway I hope it works itself out quickly and that all the fishermen and outdoors users who can vote in your state remember who blocked the funding the next time it is time to vote.
    All the best.
    Mike.

nighthawk Guest

Yes, you can be fined for trespassing on public owned property that has been closed our state. Normally that is property that has been closed do to a danger to public health, not a dunderhead Governor who refuses to work with the house and senate to achieve fiscal responsibility.

The General Assembly, House of Representatives and Senate, has refused to sign the Governor's budget because it would eliminate the 6.5 billion surplus we currently have and put us 2.5 billion in deficit. They have given him some concessions and tried to meet him half way, but they refuse to raise our taxes and let our government grow out of control. Governor Rendell is refusing to give any concession to the Assembly. He is using the budget, and some 25,000 state jobs, as a weapon to attack this Assembly. However, this is the same Assembly that held a midnight meeting, unannounced to the public, to vote themselves a pay raise prior to the last election. Many of them paid for that with their jobs. The Governor thinks he cannot be harmed because he is in his second and, by law, last elected term for Governor. So, one is just as bad as the other.

I went out to pull my canoe form it's mooring slip this afternoon and the park rangers told me that, even though there is one day left to negotiate, the budget will not be signed. The parks will be closed at 12:01 a.m. Monday morning.

When I went to pull my canoe out of the park today here is what I found out about this mess that has really got me fired up today. The rangers informed me that there was supposed to be very large group of children form the local youth daycare centers at the park Monday. That just really burns my butt! How dare they take the one free day these kids get for fun at the park! I am livid about this! Bad enough that 25,000 state employees are forced to take furlough without pay until a budget is signed but don't mess with the kids!

Joe, I grew up just 12 miles from the Ohio line in a little town called Grove City, Pa. I have nothing but respect for the people of Ohio. I have family there. Ohio and her people have always been the rock our nation can count on.

I am so sorry, I did not intend this to turn into a political rant. Finding out what is going to happen to the children just really lit my afterburners.

LadyFisher,
    If this post is out of line please delete it. I do not wish to offend the wonderful folks here at FAOL.

All I can say is that I am glad that I moved away from Pa before the people there elected that wacko for their governor! What needs to happen is a massive get together and "break in" in some of the State Parks. They may be able to fine one or two, but not several hundred people who crash the gates in protest. Those parks are your land, not little eddy's to hold as a hostage.

Looks as though the family reunion for the wife's fathers side of the fam, That was soupposed to happen at Parker Dam State Park may not be happening as it usually does this year...Hope they come to a decision soon on this...Why this idiot Gov. was elected into office in the first place is far beyond me!

Hav'nt been hearing much on the happenings on this subject...as things have been tight in this house hold for some time since Mar 19th and still no cable...

So please as info is brought to anyone's attention..Post it here if you can...Thanks
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

nighthawk Guest

Here is the latest:

http://www.wgal.com/news/13641134/detail.html

Well, at least they kept our W.C.O.'s on the job. Someone has to enforce the fish and game codes. The State Police are too busy to take on the extra burden.

makes you wonder when the next increase in licensing fees will take effect

I had no idea about this and went fishing this morning in Promised Land State Park. There were no signs so I was not aware. It seemed strange that all of the campers were packing up... On the way out We finally saw the sign about the park being closed... What a bloody mess. All of this beacuse couple of a.... s are squabbling over money. I saw peple fome couple of states away packing up and going home cause their vacations were cut short. If it was me I would be furious. I do not think they will ever came back and most likely tell all of their friends to stay away from Pennsyltucky. Imagine this:the entire economy of Pocono region depends of turism. This will have a ripple effect on local businesses for years to come.

I still cannot believe what is going on. I think I am going to fire up few emails to Harrisburg and let them know what I think about this.
    One think is for sure. Come the next vote no one in my family will vote for anybody currently in office...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread