I went out today to a local river to do some practicing. I'm getting better, but during the couple hours I was in the water casting I noticed something that continued to happen no matter what I did. I can get about 40-50 feet out now. Easier and easier, but, I always have a problem around 25' out. Anyways, the problem that always happens is no matter what I do is the line is never straight out, and my fly is usually very close to my line. I think total I seen the leader and fly were straight out from the line twice. At full length, of around 45', I can't get it any further than that. What am I doing wrong? Is it my technique, or my crappy line?

The other issue I have is after around 30' out, after my backcast? Well, when the line is behind me, my line and or fly usually hits the water when I forward cast. I turn my head to look behind me to see my line and when it straightens out I cast. So I dunno what I'm doing wrong here either. I have a bunch of books from the library, guess I'll start reading them, but, any help is more than appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Shane