+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong?

Blog Entries

Default What's wrong?

I went out today to a local river to do some practicing. I'm getting better, but during the couple hours I was in the water casting I noticed something that continued to happen no matter what I did. I can get about 40-50 feet out now. Easier and easier, but, I always have a problem around 25' out. Anyways, the problem that always happens is no matter what I do is the line is never straight out, and my fly is usually very close to my line. I think total I seen the leader and fly were straight out from the line twice. At full length, of around 45', I can't get it any further than that. What am I doing wrong? Is it my technique, or my crappy line?

The other issue I have is after around 30' out, after my backcast? Well, when the line is behind me, my line and or fly usually hits the water when I forward cast. I turn my head to look behind me to see my line and when it straightens out I cast. So I dunno what I'm doing wrong here either. I have a bunch of books from the library, guess I'll start reading them, but, any help is more than appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
    Shane

Default Re: What's wrong?

letting your backcast straighten completely and starting to drop before you start you r forward cast is a problem and not stopping har enough and sudden enough to get your line to powerfully go all the way back and not drop.

the forward cast thing is that you are not stopping on the forward cast either it should be an abrupt stop.................. not a slow forward drop.

hope this helps

Blog Entries

Thanks a bunch for the info. If I don't let the line straigten out during my backcast then when I forward cast the line makes a snapping sound, and I can't get much out, bout 25-35' at most. Letting it straighten out I can get much more distance when casting.

Yeah, the stopping abrupt I've been trying to do, it's tough for me, I try, but the pole is so wippy it's really difficult. I've looked locally, but no one I've found teaches lessons. So, practice, practice, practice.........Problem is, I'm practicing wrong most likely hahaha.

Thanks again
    Shane

Turn sideways and cast across your body so you can watch the line the whole way.
    In a little while you will feel, on the rod, when the line is all the way back on your back cast.
    It will help give you the sense of timing you are looking for.

Rick

Hello OttoDitta, something that seems to help is to develop a rhythm...try to hold about 30 ft. of line in the air, making identical false casts...and while you do that, say aloud, 'tick...tock' over and over at the most forward and most rearward portions of your cast....from this you can get timing. I agree with standing so you can watch your cast straighten on both forward and back casts and in this way you will be able to apply the rhythm and timing to your cast. I could add that you may be trying to get 'distance' too soon and that your cast would be better served staying around 30 or 35 ft. till you don't even have to think about it. Distance will come in time.

Cheers and Happy 4th,

MontanaMoose

I too am new at fly fishing and found lessons (even if only a couple hours) build a great foundation to start. Mine came free with a rod purchase. Check with your local fly shops. In my case theres only one.

While im still not happy with my cast I found im making progress by starting off with short cast (which are easy) and slowly working out little by little until im warmed up and ive found my groove.

Something eles I tried that seemed to help with the "abrupt stops" was to hold my casting arms elbow to my side and do short cast using just my wrist and very little forearm and not moving my elbow from my side . Then try to do the 10 oclock -2 oclock "abrupt stops" . While not proper cast it helped break me of the dreaded "spin casting"cast proplem I had.
    I also found that a good instructional video will help because you can watch a proper cast and refer to the video again .
    Again Im a newbie but its what has helped me so far.

I was impatient and always starting my forward cast too soon. I caught a casting lesson on a TV show and the guy had a good suggestion. Remember the beginning of Bethoven's 5th. Bum-bum-bum-bummmmmm. As you start your backcast, do these notes and when you reach the end, begin youe forward cast. Like MMoose said, develop a rhythm. I also agree strongly with standing sideways, it really allows you to see the cast and all your loops. This and lots of off water practice has helped me alot. Keep at it.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Blog Entries

Thanks very much for all the replies and tips. I put in add out today looking for lessons from someone experienced. I also did some phoning around, found a place that will give me free lessons only, if I spend money. So I'm going to go see what they have for sale. They don't sell blanks though But can order them apparently.

I tried the standing sideways, awkward feeling, but it certainly works a lot better then cranking my head around like the poltergiest, thanks a lot Rick Z! I tried this today out in my driveway.

Either it's easier with no water, or I've improved. 30 feet is easy to get out decently. 50 feet takes work, and it's not so decent

MMoose, I think you're correct, distance will come as I improve. 30-35 feet is comfortable for me to cast.

JRA, I think I'm going to stick to the same thing, short casts which are nice and easy, and progressively branch out further and further. I'm still searching for lessons, hopefully I can find some. About the abrupt stops, I don't know if what I'm doing the pros would consider abrupt stopping or not. The rod stops, but the wippiness keep some movement in the rod. Who knows, I'll find out when I track down some lessons. I'm going to give the elbow thing a try later tonight or tomorrow. I'll look for a video as well. Especially if I can't find lessons

Raw69, I'm going to try the Bethoven thing, picturing the backcast and sounding out the bum bum's, it sounds like it will work very nice. That and the Tick.....Tock idea as well.

One other question, am I supposed to let the line land on the water before I start my backcast? Seems to me it will scare the fishies away Sorry for being such a newb

Thanks tons, everyone!!
    Shane

Don't let the line touch the water until you are ready to finish the cast.
    All of the flase casts are in the air.

Rick

Like RickZ said, all in the air. If the fly line hits the water and then you attempt to make a back cast, the water tension will put more tension on the line (which is fine if you're using a spey rod) and your back cast will go flying back, too fast. Then you'll end up having to compensate for the added velocity.

+ Reply to Thread