Hey guys,

I want to pass along a warning about Maloney's Guide Service of Prescott, Arizona.

My father and I, along with two other guys, returned this week from a King salmon fishing trip in Beluga, AK. The trip was booked with Will Maloney after numerous telephone conversations about what to expect on the trip including accommodations, food, tackle, gear, fish cleaning, etc. We were told we would be staying in one of five cabins surrounding the Alaska Bear Lodge, which had all the amenities of home (satellite TV, internet, telephone, cell phone service, laundry facilities, etc.) We could fly fish or use spinning tackle and all of the meals would be prepared for us. Once we were satisfied with what to expect, we paid our fees and made our plans.

Fast forward about six months. On the day we head out, Will Maloney sends an email (after he knows we have left) that he will not be able to meet us upon our arrival, but hopes to catch up after a few days. Some guy named Rob (no last name) will meet us at the air field. The next morning (the day he knows we are flying) he sends another email to inform us that one of our flight times has changed. This guy has out cell phone numbers but decides to send emails instead. I guess he thinks we carry a computer with us on vacation. Good thing my mom checks the email and gives us a call both times.

We are still able to get to where we need to be on time with all of our gear and meet up with Rob at the Beluga airstrip. We find out from the airline service that Rob's last name is Freeman (quick note that Rob Freeman is a good guy). After we get out gear loaded in the vehicle, we head for the lodge and get ready to settle in for a meal and a drink after a long day of travel.

To make a long story short, we roll up to an A-frame shack with an outdoor toilet and a shower that is pretty much "open air". Instead of two to a cabin (the ones that are supposed to be surrounding the lodge) all four of us are on bunks with old sleeping bags. Oh, and if we want to eat, we better fire up the stove and gook it ourselves because there is no one there to do it for us.

Now don't get me wrong, down at my hunting club, this place would be top notch, but that is not what we were sold on, nor what we paid for. We paid for a Hilton and got Motel 6 (maybe Motel 5). One more thing, the river was supposed to be a 5 minute walk, not a 15 minute drive.

We later find out from Rob, that Will Maloney had booked our trip with him about 5 days before we arrived. Will told Rob that he was ill and would not be able to make it. He also paid Rob about 25% of what we paid him. The two guys with us were supposed to fish the year previous, bit Will had to cancel because "his dad was sick". Sounds like to me someone get sick every time he has to meet his obligations.

The reason I am writing this is because I don't want anyone else to get scammed by this guy. Here is his info:

Maloney's Guide Service
Will Maloney
710 Pauley Drive
Prescott Arizona 86303
Phone: 928-778-6469
Fax: 928-445-3714
E-mail: maloneys@cableone.net
http://www.alaska-fishing-charter.com/