For some time now, fishing tackle manufacturers, Boat manufacturers, their dealers, their magazines, and anyone else, that they can get to listen, have been bemoaning the fact that the percentage of anglers in the population is declining. I found the following quotation a pleasant antidote to that jabbering. It is even more interesting to note the author and the year it was published. First the quotation:

?The profound disdain with which some of the trout and salmon anglers regard the black bass has always been a sore point with me?at least it used to be. Recently, as I find my old bass fishing haunts more and more encumbered by other fishermen, I begin to feel grateful that all anglers do not prize the black bass as highly as I do. No longer do I exhort the dry fly enthusiasts to have a try at the black bass. Let them be content with their trout and their salmon. Our good bass waters already are too crowded.?

And the source: John Alden Knight, The Theory and Technique of Fresh Water Angling, Harcourt Brace and Company, 1940, p. 151.