+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I did it...

Blog Entries

Default Well, I did it...

Around midnight tonight we left and went to a small manmade lake, around 3-5 acres large. The plan was to take my fly rod and my spinning rod. Then my wife, and my son was teasing me and told me I wasn't catching a thing with the fly rod, and it was a good thing I was taking my spinning. So I decided not to take my spinning outfit at all. Afterall, I need to learn.

So anyways, we got there around 1, maybe 1:30am. Full moon, I couln't see my fly at all. But I was more trying to cast than anything. My son was using a jitterbug, and I was using some fly I had kicking around, looked like a nymph of some sort. I didn't get anything.......at first

Then as I got casting and was stripping line (still getting the hang of that) I got a hit, so I tried to set the hook, that didn't go to well. And I lost whatever it was. So I kept at it, and I started catching Bluegills, one...after.....another I'm using a 6-7 wt 8' rod with 6wt line. So there wasn't any fight. But I didn't care, I was practicing. Setting the hook isn't as easy as a spinning outfit, this fly rodding is much more difficult, but I find it much more rewarding. It's more fun. Takes much more skill. So, I kept the fly I caught my first fish on

I'm totally happy, and excited. Went down to 11 degrees C tonight, so it got cold and we left early.

Oh well, enough rambling. Thanks everyone for all the help and advice, it's starting to pay off. Oh yeah, one more thing. My leader got tangled a lot, and I had to cut and retie it 3 times, I made my own, so it wasn't the greatest, but it worked for the tiny fish. Frustrating, but it rocked

Thanks again,
    Shane

P.S. My sons words a few days ago when I said I was going to learn fly fishing was "It looks stupid". Tonight, his words were "Now I have to get into fly fishing". Haha, he caught nothing.

Default Re: Well, I did it...

Shane,
    Your a wise man! Dedicating yourself to just using your flyrod is what I did many yrs ago. I carried my spin rod and flyrod for a time but I knew that leaving my spin rod home would help me learn how to flyfish better.
    You also learned that flyfishing is a very effective way to catch fish.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Yeah...deciding to leave the spinning & bait casting rods home was difficult for me too, but leaving them behind is sort of like throwing away a crutch that is no longer needed. You go from "walking" to "running" before you know it!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the adiction, I see the hook now is firmly set.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

There's no turning back. You may as well get rid of the spinning rod as it will no longer see any use!

Blog Entries

Yeah, I thought it about quickly, and figured when I got frustrated I would just turn to old faithful and put down the fly rod. So I left it. And, funny that it has been mentioned, I'm going to selling all my spinning gear, it should be able to give me enough to build myself a rod, and some good line, and I'll learn some more. I totally love the fly rod, it's fun, and super effective.

Still frustrating, I'm going to find someone in my area, either privately or commercially, but I'm deffinitely going to get some lessons. I'm taking this all the way for sure. Like said, the hook is set

It's frustrating, and difficult, but still so enjoyable, I think of it as an art really, fly fishing to me anyways looks graceful, compared to a baitcasting outfit, so easy, just reel and and fire it out. Nothing to it.

But yeah, this kicks, I love it, and I'll do it till the day I die!

Shane

Shane,

I need to warn you that fly tying is next and it is also addictive, but, oh, what fun to create your own flies that no one else can go to a store and purchase!

You have started an adventure that will bring back the fun into your fishing and you will be amazed how productive fly fishing is. Fly fishing is the only way to fish and be totally relaxed and you can do it all day and it will not wear you out.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

kool

Blog Entries

Warren,

You're SO right. I've already gotten the itch to tie. Been searching Ebay and whatnot, looking for a deal. If I wait, then I'll purchase some good equipment though. But yes, you're right, I already want to start tying

Looks fun, and addictive

Shane

Blog Entries

Great report!

Casting in the dark can be quite challenging. I have only done it a few times, it really makes you pay close attention to all the minutiae of casting, pace, cadence, rod position, all the things that get taken for granted in daylight become very important very quickly. At least this was personal experience. But its all worthwhile for all the great fishing action that comes at night.

http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com
    http://robinsrumination.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread