+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Darwin awards

Default Darwin awards

reminds me of the time a guy walked into a store and held them up at gun point.The idiot had just come from work and was still wearing his overall jacket with his name emblazoned across the back(easily visible to the teller as he turned to leave).

I have a winner for the Darwin! I must admit though, it is a former winner! Even with that, it is still one of the best yet!

A friend tells the story best, but it basically boils down to two criminals using dynamite to open a safe full of ... you guessed it ... DYNAMITE!!!!

I wish I still had the copy of the security tape (lost during a recent move.) The two "brainiacs" decide to case out a small, off the beaten path, convenience store with the intent on coming back after close.

They break into the store and find the safe. Now it is not a small safe, it is more like a small gun locker. It is obvious from the tape they don't know what is in it or what to do with the now locked safe. But they are in no hurry, knowing it would take us a long time to get there after receiving the alarm signal.

They stand there for a minute and then "brainiac number one" has an AH HA! momment! He leaves the store for a long minute, and returns with a stick of dynamite. They place the dynamite inside the handle of the safe. They light the fuse ... and step back TWO paces!!!!

Now correct me if am not wrong here, is TWO paces enough of a safety distance from a stick of dynamite???

Well, you guessed it, the thing went ... bang!! BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was all caught on a security systme that had a remote recorder, so the tape was saved for ... posterity.

In my time, I have seen and heard some WEIRD things, but I think this story takes the all time Darwin Award of Criminal Ignorance!!!!

Reg

[This message has been edited by RCaillouet3 (edited 20 June 2005).]

This may sound a bit harsh...but in this day an' age of "poor, poor, pitiful me" excuses....this is plain ol'... poetic justice!

Sure cuts down on the repeat offenders!

Jeremy.

I am surprised that the crooks, well maybe the surviving family, did not sue the dynamite manufacturer because there was not any safety information on it. Or that they did not sue the store owner for not having a blast wall to hide behind and did not label the safe as "Dynamite inside". Or the police for being so slow that they had time to get the dynamite, or the alarm company for not having a siren!

But there is something to say about making your own luck!

Jeff

What about the guy that used a live .22 round to replace the fuse for his head lights?

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

Jeff,
    There have been lawsuits won that are more ridiculous than you suggest. Sorta scary!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

The .22 guy was only an honorable mention...he's also an Arkie. To "win" you have to die, he just removed himself from the gene pool.

------------------
    bubba_orvis

+ Reply to Thread