+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vermont Info

Default Vermont Info

Hey Folks,

I will be in the Stratton Mtn area for a long weekend in mid-August. I have been there several times, but this will be my first visit since starting the journey of Fly Fishing. Can anyone recommend any smaller streams or ponds in the area? My brother-in-law wants to "fish" with me so I am hoping to get his interest peaked in Fly Fishing with a little bit of success. With the cost of gas and the lodging, hiring a guide is most likely out of the question.

Second part, Is the Fly Fishing Museum in Manchester worth the time to visit to anyone not into fly fishing? I am looking forward to checking it out, but not sure if I should bring/drag others along or go by myself and let them hit the outlets stores?

Thanks for any and all info,

Mike

Default Re: Vermont Info

Sorry I can't advise on streams, etc. but I have been to the Museum of Fly Fishing. Being a fly fisherman, I found the museum well worth the visit. As to whether a non-fly fisher would like the visit, I would say yes, but then I enjoy visiting museums in general. If worse comes to worse, they could visit the Orvis store next door or take a stroll around town while you check out the museum.

Regards

Mike,
    I am green with envy! That Orvis store in Manchester is the original. The owner of the 2nd pond we fished the day you & your son went with me says that is his FAVORITE store. Of course, he can easily afford to shop there, unlike many of us. It would still be fun to visit.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hi Mike,

Mid-August isn't a bad time to fish the higher elevations in southern Vermont, but you're going to have to look for colder water if you want trout. There are a number of options in the Stratton Mountain area, including the streams that run right past the mountain, North Branch Brook and Kidder Brook. The higher up into the headwaters you go, the better off you're going to be. Of course, there is the Battenkill, but that would frustrate the heck out of a brand new fly fisherman, especially in low Summer flows. If you want a larger river, try the West River to the East. There are a number of tributaries that flow into the West River, too. As for ponds, there's Stratton Pond right in the area. You'll have to walk a little way to get in there, but that's part of the fun. If you want to try your hand at bass and other warmwater fish, there are plenty of options. Maybe the best thing for you would be to get / borrow the Delorme Atlas & Gazzetteer for Vermont. It includes topographical maps of the area showing all the streams, rivers and ponds, along with info on which rivers / streams hold a particular kind of fish.

The American Museum of Fly Fishing is pretty cool. Don't forget to check out the rural parts of Vermont, not just the super-quaint areas.

Have fun!

Karl

Thanks for the info folks. I picked a few maps 4 yrs ago when we were last there. I will check out the streams listed. I have a brochure from the Forest Service on Grout Pond as well, we may camp in the area the first night before the rest of the family arrive.

Mike, I did get to that Orvis store. What I remember is WOW. There are casting ponds outside and of course all the gear and clothing. I am looking forward to it.

Take care all,

Mike

FYO
    Just a heads up that free campgrounds like Grout Pond can be party central on busy weekends

Here's a list of camping areas in the GMNF
    Click General Forest Camping to view some other free sites
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/gmfl/green_moun ... /index.htm

Check out the Orvis fly fishing close-out store in the center of town
    It's in the old bamboo rod factory
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

[i]I would highly recommend the mseum also as well as the Ovis store. If you care to drive a bit North there is also the National Inland Salmon Hatchery. And if you like you are welcome to tresspass on my property west of the Hatchery and try your hand in Furnace Brook , let me know and I can provide you directions.
    Tom

Rather than Grout Pond you might want to camp at Woodford. It is a better regulated area with more campgrounds and it is also very inexpensive. There is a nice pond there and in the back section (if you have a canoe or rent one) there is some nice warm water fishing.

If you want to travel an hour south of Stratton you can get to the Deerfield river in Rowe, MA. It is a tailwater that has great fishing all summer long.

As for the Fly fishing museum, it would bore my wife (a non-fisher) silly, but there is a million outlet shops in Manchester and the town has lots of things going on if you are looking for something that might interest non-fishermen. I am sure your wife could find things to do if the museum was not to her liking.

jed

Not too far away is the Black river--lots of easy access--the Delorme Gazeteer is a great suggestion and also try asking at Orvis--the slaes staff all fish the area extensively and are very helpful with where to fish and what is working

+ Reply to Thread