+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dye A Fly Line?

Default Dye A Fly Line?

Anyone have experience changing line color?

I've got an older Wolfe TT that is white. Love the line, hate the color. I've got a pretty good collection of Veniard and Rit powdered dyes, do you suppose that they'd work? I wonder if the heat would ruin the line.

Bill

I died an SA line that was white. I used on olive rit dye, and it worked fine. Just be sure to cut a few inches off of each end, as water and die will seep up the core of the line. It does take longer to soak into the line than it does other materials.

I used a lower heat to keep the line from getting damaged. THe line has been on the reel for the past 4 seasons, and I cannot tell that there has been any damage as a result of the die.

Have fun, Jeff

i can tell you NOT to try and use a permanent/waterproof sharpie to add color to your line. might as well have used pine tar on the line.

Try this Link.
    [url=http://www.iffa.org.uk/dyinglines.htm:94547]http://www.iffa.org.uk/dyinglines.htm[/url:94547]

A guide I recently floated with showed me his line and how he dyed it in a spool formation so it looks mottled on the water instead of all one color. It also gives you a better sense of when you get a bite as you can see the line move better. Just another way to do things.

------------------
    You can't catch fish with your fly in the air!

funny for years I've liked the lighter shaded lines because they blend into the sky line and seem to be less "spooky" for my fishing...but we all have our likes and dislikes,never heard of dyeing a line..kewl to know it's possible none the less.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Bill,
    I bought the ivory TT line last year and posted the very same question. Some said "do it" some said "no way, you'll ruin the line." Well, I took a chance and dyed it olive (Rit colors sunshine yellow & dark green mixed, doesn't take much green to turn the yellow olive). I prepared the dye according to the stove top directions. However, I boiled less water than stated about 2 gallons so I could later add cold water to cool down the dye bath down quite a bit so it wasn't too hot. I'm pretty sure boiling water would ruin the line.

I coiled the line loose and used a trash bag tie, loosely twisted around the line. Only had it in the dye bath for about 30 seconds...WORKS QUICK, rinsed in cold water and it worked great.

I've been fishing with the line for a the last year with no problems.

Hi Guys,

I Contacted Royal Wulff Lines with concerns of the Irovy Color Lines spooking fish.I have a Number of TT Lines and have observed fish spooking on good Casts!I use Sci-Anglers Mastery Series Lines also in Willow-Olive and have had great results fishing the Lines with less fish spooking.I had a Brand New TT Line in Irovy for a while and was wondering if I contacted them for an exchange of an Olive color line,this is what a Royal Wulff Customer Rep Emailed me.

Dear Customer,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.(it took 2 weeks to get an Email from RW) Thank you for your kind words
    about our products. I agree with you! I would be happy to exchange the new
    one for an olive line but suggest that you dye the used lines whatever color
    you prefer. I would suggest a light Gray. Rit dye works best for this, just
    don't let it come to a boil. Send the new one back to us at the address on
    the box with a couple of bucks for freight and we will send you a new one.

Thanks for using our products,

Sincerely,

Doug Cummings(Royal Wulff)

Thanks, folks. I really appreciate the information and suggestions. It looks like I can have my cake and eat it, too.

I particularly like the tie-dye suggestion, I'm just wondering exactly how to do it.

I love this board!

Bill

+ Reply to Thread