Hello everyone,

I have purchased years ago a cheap rod and reel, south bend, they cost me somewhere in the range of $50, total, maybe a tad more. Anyways, I only want to fish for salmon and trout, mostly rivers.

I intend to purchase some good line and backing because mine is crap. But, what I would like to know is because my rod is line 7-8, will that handle a big salmon without breaking? It feels really whippy and honestly does not feel like it will hold up to the running of a salmon. I mainly use spinning outfits for most of my fishing, but lately I have the itch for salmon, and I feel the best succuss is flies.

I went out today and did some practicing in my yard, without the leader->tippet->fly, and my casting sucks, I can only get out about 20 feet of line, and not very gently.

Anyways. What I'd like to know also, is for rivers, mostly shallow about 2-3 foot deep max, what line and fly and all the other stuff should I use for salmon? I'll be re-reading everything lots more till I remember everything.

Oh yeah, one more thing, dry or wet flies for Salmon? And can I use the same line etc for trout? Or do I need smaller line and a new pole/reel?

Any information is much appreciated,

Shane Homberg.