+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carp

Default Carp

I know it has been posted before so sorry if it is getting old. But what do you tie for carp and how do you fish it? I recently found a pond with 3 foot plus carp in it.
    Thanks, BC

Default Re: Carp

It depends some on the type of Carp. What I'll write is not for grass carp but regular carp.

I would recommend the book "Carp on the Fly" by Barry Reynolds, Brad Befus, & John Berryman. They give a lot of good information. Great resource.

As far as flys go, any type of nymph or crawdad type would work. We have had some success with a Fox Squirrel nymph with rubber legs. We try to cast in front of feeding fish and let them have it.

I need to get out and try for more Carp. I hooked up with 3 large ones last summer but never got one to hand. They were brutes. I had my 6 wt, will be taking the 7wt from now on. May think about taking the 9 wt . . .

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Your'e right as far as I can say, a small nymph placed on the bottom in front of the fish then give it a tweak. Yours sounds perfect. Carp have a small mouth and can be frustrating to hook - especially when they just keep gliding around in front of you. Bastards!
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Try a floating salmon egg imitations, and fish it at an intermediate line.

Glo bugs tied in white to represent bread or glo bugs tied in yellow to represent corn. Sight fishing is the key with carp. Put it in front of their nose watch the take and don't set the hook too early. Wooly buggers are good too! Hope this helps.

Ray

The problem with corn,bread and berry flies is that that is not what they may be used to eating then and may spook them. Go about it like trout fishing and match the hatch
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

Softhackles, is the answer.

yep soft hackles always work but so does little black hares ears GRHE'S and many other all purpose nymphs like the prince work great

+ Reply to Thread