+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time out.

Blog Entries

Default First time out.

Cheap pole - $30
    Cheap real - $25
    Cheap line - $15

Finding out on the first fly trip I should have practiced a bit more and picked up some better equipment - Priceless.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I picked up some gear a few years ago when I first was interested in Fly fishing, and I took it out for the first time (not too long after I got it) and well, it was a nightmare. So a few days ago I found an interest in the sport again, so I'm doing my research and reading and I'm determined to do it right this time

I've been reading through this site and I'm loving it, tons of information and friendly people.

Well, anyways, I'm going to try and make my next trip out not so embarrassing

Take care,
    Shane.

P.S. If anyone wants to talk or anything, my MSN is in my profile, and I'll check PM's frequently. Might help me keep my motivation this time. As no one I know share the same interest haha.

Default Re: First time out.

Hi Shane! No advice from me really, just a friendly hello! I have no advice, because the weekend after next I am going fly fishing for my first time. I have two rods that I built: 3 weight, and 6 weight. I have a Okuma Sierra 4/5 on the 3 wt., and an Okuma Integrity 5/6 on the 6 wt. I have Scientific Anglers Ultra 4 line spooled on both, with some Hi-vis backing, and cheap leaders. I expect it to be gratifying to catch my first fish (Probably a crappie) on rods I built, and flies I tied. But really, just keep your interest up, get some good line at the very least, and maybe take up flytying! Give me a holler if you want to talk, or get into fly tying, and once again, welcome to FAOL!

Nenbran

Shane,
    Welcome! You are in the right place to learn & grow. As far as "cheap", you don't need to break the bank to catch fish. You will most likely do just fine with what you have. DO NOT be embarrassed by being a beginner. If possible, get casting lessons, & practice, practice, practice.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

OttoDita;
    Welcome aboard! Slide on over to the MIchigan Fish-In next week on the "Holy Waters" of the Au Sable River in Grayling Michigan! Great chance to meet a wonderful bunch and get in some good fly fishing!
    Again Welcome!!

Welcome Shane.

Welcome and Enjoy your time here, always something new to learn and great folks to get to know.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Blog Entries

Thank you very much for the warm welcome everyone. Lots to learn, and it sounds like I'll learn a lot from the members here.

Thanks again,
    Shane

OttoDita,

Tell us a little on the place you are headed, how are you fishing (shore, wade, boat, etc) and what species are you targeting?

My usual recommendations are warm water ponds, bluegill, white or yellow foam poppers.

Dan

Practice, practice, practice. If you can cast 40 to 50 feet you will catch fish. books, videos, FAOL and friends will get you there with the gear that you have. Discover your needs then spend more money if you want. Practice onlocal fish holding waters were you know your chances are great to catch fish like panfish and perch before you go after more difficult species.

Blog Entries

I'm in Southwestern Ontario. Real close to Woodstock and and London. In August we have a trip planned to go to Bayfield and do some fishing for a day or two. That's what made me want to learn fly fishing again. I'm going to take out the fly pole to a small lake, or big pond, whichever It's fairly small, just in the middle of a small community. And try that out tomorrow night, around 1-2am till 8am-ish.

I'd like to make it to the fish-in in Michigan, but I need to replace the struts and whatnot on my car

Thanks a lot for all the help and advice, this Fly fishing community rocks. I'm loving it already

Take care,
    Shane

+ Reply to Thread