+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Fish???

Default Mystery Fish???

I was with a friend the other night and trying a new pond. Unfortunately I had my baitcaster with me beacause I thought there was too much cover for a fly rod. But anyway, I was fishing a crankbait in a little cove and hooked up on something BIG I had him hooked perfectly... I think... but this fish was not like any bass I had ever fought on the fly or lures. It would shake it's head and dive down. Unlike a bass, pulling drag out and away, this fish stayed put and would make runs deeper and deeper. Who knows maybe it was a bass but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I hooked up with. It would shake it's head and run to the bottom and might have moved a total of 20 yards to my left before it shook out the lure. My rod was completly doubled over, this rod is my heaviest action bass rod and very hard to double over. But does anyone have any ideas or any fly suggestions that could work like a crankbait??? Anything will help as I am baffled as to what it was.
    Thanks,
    BC

P.S. If it helps any this was in a decent size lake. Maybe 5+ acres.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mystery Fish???

Quite possibly a big old channel cat out on patrol for goodies?

http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com
    http://robinsrumination.blogspot.com

Are there Bowfin in the lake?

I caught a channel cat on a nymph of all things a few weeks ago, and while he wasnt huge (18 inches) he fought like hell on a 5 weight. I would guess in a large pond or a small lake like that, either a cat or a carp, but I dont know about carp going for a crankbait. So best guess is a huge cat. We have bowfins here and I hear they fight like mad also, just never hooked one. They are the fighters that play like they are done, and then spring back to life and make a run. They will do this 4 or 5 times before submitting. So again, sounds like a cat.

i have gotten to channel cats an 8 pounder on my 5weight
    and a 17 pounder on my 6 weight
    and they both fought just like you described!

as for flies............................ something with those little plastic bills that people can buy and tie into the front of the fly ............. they have them in cabelas

That's what my friend was saying too. I figured it was something big like a cat. But I don't know about the bowfins that is a possibility too.
    Thanks
    BC

I'm going to agree with the rest and say it was a cat, too. They are very determined fighters and because they don't spend all their energy in quick runs and jumps and all the other nonsense trout and bass are prone to, they tire out very slowly. I got one a couple nights ago, maybe about 5 pounds that took a good twenty minutes to land on my six weight. He had taken a deer hair bug I was waking across a shallow cove. They are very active this time of year, and will definitely take a crankbait.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Blog Entries

It could also have been a large turtle.

Ed

Default Crankbaits for a fly rod

Check these out from my local fly shop.

http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/store ... Entries=30
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

That is something else. Literally the lines between spin casting and fly fishing are becoming more and more blurred with things like Full sinking lines for fishing depths 20' or more....crankbaits for the fly rod....fly fishing for large salt species and even musky and pike.....all seems to have really taken off in the last 10+ years. I'd be interested to try one....but at what point do you just revert back to using a spinning rod????

+ Reply to Thread