+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on Building a 7pc

1. Default Question on Building a 7pc

I ordered a 7pc blank yesterday for a pack rod. I've built a 2pc and a 3pc already, is there anything different I need to watch out for with the 7pc? Thanks

Default Re: Question on Building a 7pc

Not really, just make sure that before starting the build that you assemble the entire rod and keep rotating the sections until you get a nice straight rod. This is best done by starting with the butt section, adding the second second section and rotating the section until it is straight, then add the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh doing the same with each section that you add. Make sure that you put a piece of masking tape on each section so you can mark the side that best aligns the sections....

I would use a thread color that closely matches the blank. A contrasting color on a rod with that many ferrule and guide wraps looks really busy.

4. Default Re: Question on Building a 7pc

dleo6446,

Do you mean to make sure the spline of each section is aligned right? Or do you mean the straightness of the rod? Thanks.

Jerry,
    It could be a zebra themed rod

Here is a nine piece Lamiglass. I used brown on the "honey" blank..the guy at Lamiglas told me that is the color they use....busy...NO?

Fly Pimp,
    You will need to go for the straightness, the spine may or may not align the rod in a straight line, and on a rod with that many sections, I don't think the spine will be an issue anyway, not that it is on any rod. Just get it straight and go for the build.

ld

I would spline the rod first and assemble it. Then make any adjustements make sure it is straight (i.e. no bends to the right or left). Most blanks I have seen lately from reputable manufacturers come pretty straight. I would try to get a specific guide chart for the blank, if possible. With a seven piece blank, some of the guides will end up on the joints if you use a general spacing guide. I would also keep the furrel wraps down to a minimum length for weight and appearance.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Here we go again...spine or no spine...it's a no-win discussion. On my 7-piece Forecast I built it for straightness, and when I check the spine (just for giggles) it was right on the money with the straightness. Funny how that works sometimes.

To get to your original question, the most important thing you need to watch for is to be having fun. If you get frustrated with any step in the build process, walk away and take a break. It really helps. Oh, and don't be afraid to call for help. We're all here to make sure you have a successful build so you can become addicted like most of us are.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread