+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing with grandchildren

Default Fishing with grandchildren

My grandson had been wanting to go fly fishing with me for some time. Not knowing how a 7 y.o. would do casting a fly line, I was some what hesitent. Would he be able to make a cast or would the line fall at his shoes. Would he become frustrated and loose desire. Thiese are questions I keep asking myself. So, this past weekend I threw a fly rod and reel into the car for a family father's day get-together were I would be seeing my grandson. I asked my grandson if he wanted to try casting a fly line and he replied with a resounding "yes, pop-pop" "can I really try it"? So off we went in search of a grassy area large enough to throw some line out. Well, I was greatly surprised. He not only never became frustred, but was also able to make a decent cast after about 30 minutes or so.

Yesterday I bought a Cabela's fly rod for him and plan on suprising him with it in less than 2 weeks from now and take him fishing. I plan on taking him fishing for panfish were he should have some early success. I think just catching fish, any fish for now, would help keep his attention.

I"m pretty siked about the whole thing and look forward to when we get to go fishing together.

Scott

Default Re: Fishing with grandchildren

congratulations,you've just created a new junky.
    My son started at 7 also and now at 9 he is a hardcore junky.
    this spring I was in a flyshop and he and my wife were waiting in the car. I am standing at the counter and he comes drifting in while i'm paying for some hooks.He heads right for the rod rack and tells me he needs a new rod the first rod he grabs for is a new 600.00 Sage I laugh of course . turns out the kid had almost a hundred bucks saved up and was serious about a new rod so we ended up in the sale/closeout barrel and he ended up with a really nice 8' 5wt. Redington rod for 50.00.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

Scott,
    That's great! I took my 2 oldest granddaughters (and son) fishing last Sunday & they did well with their little spincast outfits. Five year old Erika got her 1st 2 fish ever on her own...nice 7" gills, & she was elated! In time I will get them all into fly fishing.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

SCOTT Thats what grandfathers are for. I teach and I would like to suggest a couple things. Pinch down the barb on the hooks,have him wear glasses (safety or sunglasses) a cap and fish with dry flies so that he sees the fish take the fly. I usually use foam body flies with legs. The latest way that we are beginning to teach casting is a method that Bob Clouser showed us at a meeting--lay a 50 foot rope on the ground stand at the center and have them sidecast to both ends of the rope. After getting the feel of the line on the ground soon they will be casting higher. BILL

William: That Bob Clouser lesson sounds interesting but I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're doing with the rope. Are you standing with the rope going in front and behind you? If so then you're just trying to get the fly line on one side of the rope then the other. Is that right?

The 50 ft rope is put between two stakes one at each end and one at the center point You stand at the center at right angle to the rope and side cast the 25ft to the front stake then 25 feet behind to the rear stake. I've been casting for years and found after a number of cast on the ground you soon raise the rod higher. You get the feel of the rod and line and soon your casting well off the ground BILL

In my experience, you take a kid fishing rather than fish with a kid. He'll do the fishing, you'll do the untangling, unhooking, knot tying, etc. But I've never gone out with a kid and not had at least as much fun helping them catch fish as I would have had catching them myself!! Good luck and get 'em hooked while they're young, before the video games and television gets 'em!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

For those of you who are clearly more experienced than myself, what age do you think is early enough to take kid fishing. My son will turn 1 next month (don't worry, I'm not planning anytime soon to take him) and my wife is pregnant with our second (boy!). I want to get them fishing ASAP, but when do you guys think it is a good age to start?
    Leave No Trace

gonfishin,
    I hope he becomes a "junky", I could use another "fishin buddy". Just hope he doesn't look at the $600 sage rods any time soon.

ohiotuber,
    That's cool that your grandkids are fishing at such an early age. My grandson has been spincasting for about 3 years with the other side of the family but decided he wants to FLY FISH.....go fiqure.

Bill,
    Thanks for the reminder. I have already considered the safty aspects and debarbed hooks and sun glasses it shall be. Interesting note about the rope.

bluegill222,
    I plan on doing JUST enough fishing to give the appearance of fishing with him and not just being someone to untangle knots. I'll play that one by ear. Sounds as though you've had some experience with kids and fishing yourself.

The rod wasn't supposed to arive until next Tuesday but instead it arrived today. I was pleasantly suprised how nice it is. I haven't cast it yet but it passes the "waggle test" and has a nice appearance. Even has a wood filler on the reel seat and the hardware seems very decent.

Scott

In my experience, you take a kid fishing rather than fish with a kid. He'll do the fishing, you'll do the untangling, unhooking, knot tying, etc. But I've never gone out with a kid and not had at least as much fun helping them catch fish as I would have had catching them myself!! Good luck and get 'em hooked while they're young, before the video games and television gets 'em!
    Best advise of all right there. I have 4 and that is how they all learned. The first time we took our oldest, my wife asked, "where's your rod"? After that trip, she left hers at home on the next one. It can be a busy time on the water, but well worth it.

+ Reply to Thread