+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gunpowder

Default gunpowder

im headed up tot he gunpowder at the end of june, any idea what hatches will be there?
    i've read there are sulphur now. just curious
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

Default Re: gunpowder

mdram:

I can't offer any personal info but I recall there being some info and links in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18094&hilit=Baltimore

Good luck & have fun!

Sulphurs and caddis.

Roger,

Give Theo a check for reports - www.backwaterangler.com
    Great Feathers has a shop in Sparks, MD (Mike L. would know - can't remember if they have a web-site) Haven't heard much from anyone lately going up that way. Water was low because of lack of rain - think I had read they were mixing the release from Pretty Boy. Wish ya the best, thinking of a run up that way myself - let us hear how you did. Thanks,

Mike K.
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

Great Feathers is http://www.greatfeathers.com

i read theos site for several weeks before i go up, and im registeredon greatfeathers board as mdram also
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

yo roger,

sulphurs, caddis, BWOs. you might also run into some isonychia farther down around the Sparks area if you choose to fish down there. fun to fish those big old state drakes!!!

the sulphurs around right now are the little dorothea, around #20. they are quite sporadic but the fish are still keyed in on them. I fished masemore to falls on Monday night and got around a dozen or so, almost all of which came on a Quigley's cripple. Small dun patterns and spent spinners got a few rises but nothing exciting.

the caddis are also on the smallish side, around #18, mainly olive-bodied. EH caddis will work just fine fished on 7X. I noticed a few really late march browns the other night, but nothing was looking at them.

olives are always around, especially later in the afternoon or all day if it's cloudy.

keep in mind that since it's been hot and dry, the ANTS are out in force. you might see a few japanese beetles, too. there are good numbers of small green and light tan. I got a good take on a #12 stimulator a few nights ago and busted the fish off on the hookset...nothing large, my own fault.

I'll be up there tonight while the water is up, so I'll check it out and send you a PM. let me know when you're up, we really do have to get together one of these times...

Marty

no problem coming into town jun 30th leaving july 3rd so i'll fish at least 1 day. 2 if i can sneak out
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

I'll be around for a change! Let's hook up.

Took a few on an emerger/cripple last night, but it was tough fishing. Release was up to 78 vs 34 the past few weeks, but not much looking up. Had a good take last night on a #14 stim while I was scratchin my backside (not paying attention as usual).

Here's one I got right around Masemore:

Marty

i'll drop you a line next week, after i iron the schedule out with the wife
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

+ Reply to Thread