+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smal Streams Question

Default Smal Streams Question

I'm relatively new to Albuquerque and just recently started fishing (trout) the small streams in the Jemez Moutains. My current crop of fly rods are way too long for these small streams. So I have a 6' 2wt on order.

My question is about leaders. I think anything over 4ft would be too long and maybe a 3.5 ft would be better. Has anyone had experience flyfishing small streams like I'm talking about, and what size leaders do you use?

Thanks

Default Re: Smal Streams Question

Just how small are your streams? I fish small streams that I can jump across with a bamboo 8' 5wt and 7'6" leader.

1 is about 5-8 ft wide couple feet deep in deepest part, but very brushy along the banks. Other one is from less than a foot wide to maybe 4ft, couple feet deep in some places. Actually when I was shown these streams I said there is fish in this creek? LOL

I've fished in some pretty tight places and have never used a leader shorter than 7 1/2'. If you're fishing places that are 4-8' wide you want a rod that will cast just the leader.
    I've fished some of those streams in the Jemez, lovely country.

Yep, that's small. As Jerry said. You'll need a soft rod that will cast the leader. Although i'm not sure that's a cast. You could swing the leader that far.

In a state where its hard to find a bad Mexican resteraunt I found one in Jemez Springs....Los Ojos. I thought I was going to have to have my stomach pumped after eating an enchalada.

Bowfin,
    I have a 6-ft. 2-weight TFO and for those tiny, brushy streams a little farther north around Taos and Red River I have used Umpqua's 6 foot Power Taper, Pocket Water leader at times. It does help turn a fly over with very little line out.
    Joe

at least a 7 1/2'

Bow:

I fish super small creeks all the time. The bottom line is how much cover you have to deal with. If the stream is really overgrown; you will find out really quick how long a leader you can get away with.

For me it's all about how long of a cast I'll be making and how that relates to how much fly line is out of the tip of my rod when I cast with the leader I choose. When I'm fishing a really short rod; necessitated by a really bushy creek; most of my casts are 8'-10' foot long which means a leader of 7' or longer puts almost no fly line out of the tip top and then the rod doesn't load and casting isn't fun.

When this is the situation; I usually just put just a 3 foot section of tippet material on the end of my fly line and this works fine in most situations. If I can make a cast of 15'-20' I may add another section or two of leader material in front of that ending up with a 5'-5'6" leader which also works fine.

BUT!!!!

Two great FAOL posters have made me custom super short furled leaders to try out that are 2'-3" furled sections to which I'll add 2-3 feet of tippet. I think these will be the ultimate super short leaders. I just got back from a trip so I haven't had a chance to evaluate these creations but when I do I will post a review.

Bamboozle,
    I have some 3 feet long furled leaders that I have added 3 feet of tippet to and the only problem I have had with them dealing with the brushy creeks is that if you get the furled leader tangled in the brush, you're dead. They DO NOT want to come out of a bush AT ALL. I paid a lot for them (or I thought it was a lot) and it sure hurts to have to cut them off to get untangled.
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread