+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Gurglers for crappie

Default Baby Gurglers for crappie

A friend has offered a trip to a secret pond where the top water crappie action can be good. He has always wanted to try fly fishing for them, so when he mentioned a July 4th holiday trip I was more than willing. I tied up a few diminutive gurglers

I have read that black yellow red and white are good colors for crappie. Do these have potential? Any other suggestions?

Default Re: Baby Gurglers for crappie

they will definately catch crappie if they are on the topwater bite

definately crappie colors!
    if you could get some chartruese foam you could make another great gurgler

you have to post the results of your trip though

I have some yellow foam. In fact the gurgler at 7 o'clock is yellow with chartreuse chenille. Unfortunately the camera flash washed it out. I will have to go back to Joann's fabrics and see if they have chartreuse foam.
    I certainly will update on the results of our trip. Hopefully the catch will be good, but this fellow and I generally have a fun day fish or no fish.

Try glueing some holographic tape on the foam.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I usually stick some 'spider' legs on the gurglers along with some palmered hackle. Don't know too much about crappie but these gurglers are effective for most other fish (bluegills, bass, etc.).

I've had some interesting results with an all white gurgler with silver flash for the tail. Pretty good smallie pattern also in various sizes.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

just thought of a tip for your photos if you dont use the flash and just use your tying and overhead lights you wont get that washed out look
    of course you probably arlreadt knew that

Blog Entries

Don't get too hung up on "diminutive". I caught a 12"er on a 1/0 black Stealth Bomber with a five inch tail Friday morning. I big one could take a biiiig fly.

Good luck.. I'm on the hunt for a big one right now. So far, can't break 13". I *know* she's there.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I'm so amazed at the creativity found among fly tyers. I love the idea of the white gurgler. I'll have one in the box by tonight. Soon as I'm done with my newspaper production! JGW

I will tie up some with everyone's suggestions. Peter Frailey's Gurgle-Pop, with the rubber legs also looks like a good Gurgler variation. I plan on tying up a few smaller HairyMara Sliders as well. What other top water panfish flies have been good for you guys? I spoke to my buddy last night, and he said that he and his dad went gear fishing last weekend and the fish were not in a surface mood. I have plenty of subsurface stuff already though.

+ Reply to Thread