+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to build a rod.

Default Wanting to build a rod.

I''m wanting to build a fly rod. For a long time now I've been wanting to build a 7 1/2', 4 piece, 5 weight. I like the Batson RX7 blank and a Venerri reel seat. The best price I can come up with is $160+, and I'm feeling pressure from myself to buy the components. However, I'm feeling pressure from responsible stewardship of funds to spend less than $100. My question is; Does anyone know where I can buy a kit like the affore mentioned for less than the $100 limit? I know this is a tough one, but something must be on sale somewhere. I just can't find it. I guess I'm trying to build my own Super Fine Trout Bum for cheap. Any help out there?
    Thanks Ahead!
    Joe
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default Re: Wanting to build a rod.

YOu might check out this site ..their prices are pretty good a bit over the 100.00 but not much
    http://www.flyrodcrafters.com/servlet/Detail?no=85

If you drop the Venerri real seat and settle for a less expensive one, but just as functional, you should be able to build nice rod for your $$ target or less. Basically you can add about $50 to the cost of the blank to cover all the hardware and reel seat. If you are really frugal you can do it for less than that. That does not include thread, or glues which will make more than one rod. Allyn

Hey Lotech,

Run over to White's Outdoors. They're closing their fishing department to make room for a new boot factory. All of their fishing stuff is 40% off. I don't know what they have left but it might be worth a look.
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Lotech,

If its a rod you've been wanting for a long time, why short change yourself? Make the rod you want, not the one you settle for. How long have you waited, and how much longer will it take you to save another $60?

I recently complete a 3wt that took me 6 months just to buy all the parts. I'd have a little cash so I'd buy the stripper, the reel seat, etc. As a result I have a rod that is second to none. But that's just me, I'd rather have just a few really nice rods than a closet full of cheap ones.

If you do get a kit, I'd second the ones from Fly Rod Crafters. I'm lucky enough to have them in town, and I know Bob the ower puts a lot of care into how he assembles the kits.

Incidentally, if you can find a Venerri seat, you'll have a real collectors item. Last I heard, Robert hasn't made seats for a few years.

Now wait Joe. Where did you get that price???? What other components did you want on this rod? Not under cuting anyone, but I see this a little cheaper than $160.!!!!!!!

Lets talk and maybe I can help you out without compromising.
    True, Bob venerri makes tools to make a seat. I didn't think he made seats himself anymore.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech
    I''m wanting to build a fly rod. For a long time now I've been wanting to build a 7 1/2', 4 piece, 5 weight. I like the Batson RX7 blank and a Venerri reel seat. The best price I can come up with is $160+, and I'm feeling pressure from myself to buy the components. However, I'm feeling pressure from responsible stewardship of funds to spend less than $100. My question is; Does anyone know where I can buy a kit like the affore mentioned for less than the $100 limit? I know this is a tough one, but something must be on sale somewhere. I just can't find it. I guess I'm trying to build my own Super Fine Trout Bum for cheap. Any help out there?
    Thanks Ahead!
    Joe
    I went through the same anxiety when I built my Dan Craft 7'-0" 1wt. I was livid that the components were going to cost $100 to build the rod (all cork grip & reelseat and titanium components tip to butt), and that I could buy a 7'-0" 1wt from Cabelas for $99. My friends on another forum came to my rescue and pointed out the fact that I was being unrealistic, and that I was letting my cheapness get in the way of owning a rod that when completed, would be worth over $300. I AM cheap, but i relented and spent the money, and this has turned out to be my favorite rod.

Since I don't know you I cannot label you as being CHEAP like myself. If you want the rod/reel as described, I suggest that you save for the components like taoski suggested.

I did go through an excercise and priced everything you need from Hook & Hackle (less the $66 Venneri reel seat), and came up with $!25.71 including the shipping. IMHO, a reel seat is like a fly reel, it hold the reel that holds the line, and serves no other purpose. If it were me, I would put the extra money into the blank or into a fly line. The Venneri is sweet, but it's just window dressing unless you're building for a customer. Also, I believe this is your first rod, and high end components are not usually recommended for a first time build.

Rainshadow RX7 IM6 7'6" 4ps 5wt (HH7654B).....$70.40
    H&H Component kit (HHCBC04)..........................$48.36
    Shipping & Handling.......................................... .$ 6.95
    Total............................................. ......................$125.71

The above prices include 20% discount for placing order through their online store at http://www.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/

Good Luck!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I decided and bought (today) the Batson RX7 in a 7 1/2'-4 piece-5 weight blank in gloss green from Hook & Hackle. I'm using a Struble D2 down locking sliding ring reel seat in smoke colored nickel silver with a teak insert. Now all I need is a matching winding check, guides, tip top and an agate stripper guide in green. The windings are going to be dark green with gold accent. I think I'll build this one slowly. I'm planning on having it available for fishing at the Idaho Fish-In. A Native Westslop Cutthroat on a dry would be a nice chiristening touch. Wish me luck.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Sounds like a nice little setup, I like those D2s. Glad to hear your doing it up right. Try Golden Witch for the balance of the parts. They have agate strippers in jade and "moss". I've used the moss, although its did stand out as much, it had some nice colors, and might match the RX-7 better. They also have a sweet selection of winding checks that you can get blued (probably a close match to "smoke colord" NS). Good luck.
    - taoski.

Still waiting for the outfit to arrive. It's coming from Hook & Hackle. I decided to go to Golden Witch and ordered the 10mm Moss colored agate stripping guide. I think the agate will match the blank color better than anything else I've looked at. I find myself chomping at the bit ready to get started with the build. Pics will probably be forthcoming.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread