+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RMNP

Default RMNP

The last week of June I am going to be in Estes Park,Co. I'll be staying on the Fall River right at the front door of RMNP. Anybody have suggestions on certain stream areas to fish or flies to have ready? I'd like to try a little fishing up in the Park and will probably try the Fall and Big Thompson.

Default Re: RMNP

I have done well with PTN in size 12 to 18.
    Also Elk Hair Caddis in various sizes.
    Look up Scotts Sporting Goods, they always have a list of what flies are working where.
    They are on the west side of town just before the last traffic llight going into the Park.

Rick

Check in with Grant at the Estes Angler - He knows the park extremely well. I live near RMNP, and make it a habit to stop in his shop every time I fish there.

Best bet would probably be the Big T in Moiraine Valley, but it can be kind of crowded. You can pick up the odd cutt at the alluvial fan, but you should plan on a hike-in fishing trip for the best park waters.

Thanks, I've fished the area a couple of times but didn't actually know for sure what flies to go with. I did remember Rick's RMNP articles in the panfish archives. That should help even more. I can't wait to be in the Rockies again! It is definitely a God filled place!

Quote Originally Posted by John 3:16
    It is definitely a God filled place!
    Not to veer the thread offtopic, but I've lived here for years and I think the same exact thing every single time I look at the mountains.

Here is a link to a local fly shops fishing report for RMNP, they update weekly...

http://www.wildbasinoutfitters.com/colo ... eports.htm

June is still early in the high country, so expect to still see a a lot of runoff. If the water is real high you might do better on the Big Thomson downstream of Estes, it's flow is controlled by the dam release. Inside the park there are all kinds of choices, it's hard to beat the post card beauty and serenity of Moraine Park, if you can beat the crowd factor.

Lots of choices if you are willing to hike a bit. It amazes me how many people drive halfway across the country to visit and then won't walk go more than 100' feet from the car! A 20' minute hike and you are aften pretty much alone.

One trick for avoiding crowds is to use the less crowded 'Wild Basin' entrance, about a 10 min. drive West of town on the road to Allenspark.

I wouldn't think of fishing in the park without some para-adams, in sizes 18 thru 12. I also do well with royal coachmans, trude style wing, size 16,14. A black ant pattern can be just the ticket when there is no hatch. Make sure you have a good stock of BWO patterns, both dry and nymphs. !2-14 inch fish are considered good size but you will find an occasional 20 incher, I like to use a 4wt rod with 5x or 6x tippet.

The fall river is pretty good fishing, so you might as well try some right out the front door. RMNP has some of the rare native greenback cutthrouts, one of the most colorful species of trout.

Make sure you bring adequate cloths, it snowed here last week above 8000 ft. June weather can be upredictable. It is not uncommon to have a 50-60 degree change in temperature in a 24 hour period. You can start the day in the 90's and end it in the 30's. The continental divide bisects the park, storms backup and spill over the ridge line with amazing speed. It can go from summer temperatures to winter chills in 15 minutes.

+ Reply to Thread