+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Handed???

Default One Handed???

Hello everyone;

Do you know anyone that fly fishes with one hand? I have a friend that is losing the use of her right hand. Many surgeries and the bones are just crumbling. She is only 37. She was once a very good fly angler. Now she is so depressed about this that she has sold most of her equipment and will not go fishing at all.... I would like to change that. Any suggestions. She still has a little use of the hand but it is leaving her fast. Taking a fish off and tying on a fly will not be necessary, I'll handle that. But before I under take this I would like to discuss this with all of you.

Thanks in advance
    Harold

Hey Harold,

I'm sorry I can not dredge the name out
    of my aging memory banks, but a pleasant
    young man who is a member is severely
    handicapped. Some of the members were trying to figure how to enable him to cast
    a fly rod. It sounded as if a brace on the
    forearm with velcro to support the brace as
    well as the rod might resolve the problem.
    I believe Betty was working with someone to
    get one made. You might contact her and see
    if she has any wisdom to offer. Good luck
    and let us know if we can be any help.
    Warm regards, Jim

3. Default

Hi Harold,
    We have a guy at our local trout fishery who has only one arm, but it doesn't stop him catching some good fish!
    He casts, then puts the rod butt in an adapted harness, similar to the ones blue-water fishers use. Instead of a cup for the rod to fit in, it has about a foot of aluminium tubing. The rod butt has the 'double handle' unscrewed, and a longer piece fitted, to fit the aluminium tube. Once the rod is placed in this harness, it leaves his hand free to retrieve the fly, or fight the fish when he gets them. I believe he plays fish 'off the reel', on which the drag must be set high enough to enable him to land the fish with his net.
    I haven't watched him change flies yet, but he doesn't seem to have too much trouble in this.
    I hope this helps?? And best wishes & tight lines to your friend!
    Andy

------------------
    As featured in Trout Fisherman, UK, Jan 2005! I'd still rather be fishin'!!

I was born with cerebral palsy and have limitted use of my right hand. I sometimes cast one-handed. Here's how I do it. Instead of using my right hand to hold the line as I cast, I put the line between my fingers and controll it that way. It took some practice but it works.I put the rod in my right hand as soon as I cast so I can strip with the left. I almost "have to use" a stripping basket because I have to let the line fall to cast again. In the canoe I use a 5 gallon bucket.

Btw, Even though it takes me about 1/2 hour to do it, I tie my own.

Thanks guys

Jim I remember him drainbamaged or something like that. What happend to him, I have not seen him post in a long while. Come to think of it I have not seen Don post in a long time either.

Warren also sent me an e-mail (was at work) and asked about an automatic reel.

Andy do you think you could get a picture of this guy's rig.
    Cindy has complete control of both arms but just the right hand is damaged. So she might be able to use both arms.

lefthandedbrian; I have a basket that I do not like I will let her try it. I do not think she could hold the rod in her right hand, so it will be teaching her to learn the left. I think she reeled with her left hand so that might not be a problem.
    She is quite a lady and might decide she wants to tie her own flies on, but either Sue or I will be there to work with her.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 03 February 2005).]

There is a person who is a regular on another board that I visit that is handicapped and is still fishing, for steelhead no less. I'm not sure what his condition is but I know that he always goes out with folks so that he has someone to help him wade and tie on his flies. Drop me an email and I will let you know where you can get in touch with him if you like.

Rick

8. Default

Harold, next time i'm up the fishery, i'll get a picture of it for you. Should be at the weekend, am their resident fly-tyer :0)
    Andy

------------------
    As featured in Trout Fisherman, UK, Jan 2005! I'd still rather be fishin'!!

Harold, I have an automatic reel that I don't use. if that will help I can send it to you. Just let me know where to send it.

Also, I was thinking that a wrist support, a glove and some velcro could be sewn into a griping aid. I have some ideas for a design. If you think that would help let me know, I might be able to have one made up for her to try.

------------------
    Joe

Thank You Joe, I contact you off line

Harold

+ Reply to Thread