+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CO2 Life Vests

Default CO2 Life Vests

This is the kind of life vest I have for my float tube and it's very comfortable. This story is very good telling what it's like to fall in the water and what happens next.
    I think there could be a problem with our perception of what a life vest is supposed to do when we fall overboard. It's like bailing out of a plane, you have to pull the cord!
    www.katu.com/news/7911107.html
    Be SAFE!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Default Re: CO2 Life Vests

Note that there are two types of these inflatable vests. One that requires a pull on the rip chord and the other that will allow for you to pull a rip chord or it will auto inflate if it is under water for a certain period of time (a few seconds). The second one cost more but is probably a very wise investment.

jed

if i buy one of those i would definately buy the self inflatable because if i passed out and fell out of my pontoon i would want it to save my life !!!!
    after all thats what they are for!

Chris,
    A self-inflating life vest is WHAT I'm referring to. If there is a mind reading life vest out there I'd like to see it.
    I would say that a life vest that could inflate according to your BP or other body functions would cost a LOT of money!
    Deeper Blue (Scuba Diving) Forum,
    www.forums.deeperblue.net/safety/27719- ... -vest.html
    Click on Deeper Blue Forum.
    This Forum is discussing Scuba Diving with self-inflating life vests.
    It looks like self-inflating vests will save your life IF! you can pull the CO2 cord, because the inflated life vest pushes your head back when you hit the surface.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I have the automatic - for the difference in money why risk your life on it. You can disable the auto function and still have it manually inflate, but... Guess it would be like driving a race car and putting recap tires on it. My head is 6'+ from the rocks or whatever, regardless of the physics it would be enough force to even knock me out... A worth while investment friends - my .02
    MPK
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

Doug;
    I sure missed this post!! I was looking at one for my float tube but as you are low in the water I was thinking manual not automatic. Now I have a 'toon coming and will re-think the automatic.

Jack,
    CO2 vests are great! I hope you never have to pull the cord!
    (Stay Out Of Hot Water!)
    Doug

Hi guys,

borealis here, a long-time lurker.

Many (all?) manual-pull vests have a tube you can use to inflate by mouth. FWIW, I give mine at least a partial inflation when either I or the water is moving.

/bo

/bo,
    I and I am sure others would like to hear a (Fishing) Report from your neck of the woods!
    Thanks,
    Doug

+ Reply to Thread