As a professional ecologist I found Castwell's piece on Latin names to be highly entertaining and right on the mark. I spent years studying aquatic invertebrates, most notably chironomids, and despite learning many species I could never keep up with the changes in taxonomic designations. Nor did I enjoy the taxonomic aspects of studying invertebrates as I was more concerned with the ecology of the little beasts. But many of my grad school colleagues were really into the taxonony and I always felt a bit inferior because I let someone else worry about that aspect.

But, one of my fondest memories is typified by the following quote from Lewis Carroll which graced the Introduction of an invertebrate key written by a renowned biologist named Pennack. This put it all into a proper perspective for me.

"What's the use of their having names the Gnat said, `if they won't answer to them?'

`No use to THEM,' said Alice; `but it's useful to the people who name them, I suppose.

That pretty much said it all and although I can still identify and spew out the correct Latin names for many species, bloodworm will suffice quite nicely.

Great piece JC!

Rick