+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe's new lake

Default Joe's new lake

Thanks for the article, Joe. Reminds me of home.

After reading your article for this week Joe, I have to say that I'm not surprised. I've spent a lot of time at the un-named lake and have tried a lot of different strategies. The lake is so inviting and it obviously has great structure but it doesn't give up it's secrets easily. You might check with Bluegill 222--I've seen him out there a few times and he seems to have the key but my guess is that you are going to have to expand your horizons a bit beyond "old reliable". One pattern that I've found to be pretty consistent. And that is catching large bluegill ion small black poppers at this time of the year off of the dam but only very late into the evening--read dark. I love it out there at that time with the wind dying down and the night sounds picking up. Check the park closing times, you don't want to be locked in or maybe you do. That would certainly make a good follow-up story.

I haven't been out there this year, yet since I'm still up in New York having to put up with trout fishing around waterfalls and such.

BW

Default Re: Joe's new lake

You know, I once lived in Kansas. Manhattan, a town you can't see until you sudden drop off a cliff. Sort of an oasis. Near Tuttle Creek. At one point I was encouraged to join a newspaper staff if Topeka because of my photographic skills. After Manhattan? Now Joe joins FAOL and starts writing about this lake and that, and Pastor Ed even chimes in with some colorful attributes. Then there is Betty Hiner, although it sounds like her muse is the Black Hills rather than wading the out-spout at Tuttle. Yes, Joe, your lake sounds devine. Perfect, in fact. But I've been to Kansas. Lived there. Perhaps I might drop in for a visit. JGW

Yeah, Brad; that's the lake, alright. You know the deal.

Sure hope I never get so engrossed catching fish after dusk that I get locked in that park overnight. Something tells me I'd get ticketed by the park patrol. Maybe even have my truck towed off if I was still out on the lake in my canoe.

I found a couple of hot spots while fishing there in my solo canoe last Saturday evening. More on that soon.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Yep, I know that lake, too. In fact I ran into Joe on it last night. He seems to be getting dialed in pretty well all by himself. It was a good night for big gills, but for the first time in a long time I went all evening without a single bass. I think I had one on at one point but he wasn't there long enough to be sure and he wasn't that big. Park closes at 11pm during the summer btw. Bumble bee patterns have been doing real well for me lately, both wet and dry.

This isn't that pond, but it is the fly I've been using:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa5/ ... GP0167.jpg
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Bluegill,

If I had Friday evening to do over again, I'd have paddled farther west of you, anchored and then begun casting back southeast into that hotspot I worked.

It wasn't until 30 minutes after I'd anchored my tandem (facing away from you) that I twisted around in my seat far enough to see that I was closer to you than good manners should allow. Sorry about that!

In my own defense, during my boat's forward glide into the spot where I fished it certainly felt like I'd moved far enough west of you not to invade your zone. You're just a much better long caster than me. I was startled when one of your throws dropped your fly well inside my casting radius (which I'd assumed was a good-neighbor distance beyond your own radius).

Looking forward to you operating from the bow seat of my tandem!

Joe

There were more than enough fish there for both of us so no harm done. And you left more than enough room to qualify as a "good neighbor" and I was glad to share the spot. One of my dog-sitting responsibilities ended today, the parents come back and get theirs on Thursday. After that my days off are my own again, and we'll have to see if I still know how to cast from a canoe!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Bluegill has shown me some gill fishing (infact, that's why it took a year and a half to finish painting my livingroom!!).

Would still like to try a few more places closer to home, though I do love to spend time in the Black Hills. The scenery there just tops that that's here in Kansas (I'm sorry, but it's true!!).

I look forward to cooler weather and another run at the gills.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Now this thread is what FAOL is all about! The sharing and friendships that are built here are awsome!! I just may have to make a visit to "Joe's New Lake"!

Betty, Jack (and anyone else):

If you'd like to try fly rodding that lake from a canoe, let me know. My tandem (2-seat) canoe is now outfitted with the hardware needed for the 2-anchor system.

Betty, I hear you about the Black Hills. Superbeautiful area. I've never fished anywhere in it and would be interested in hearing about it from someone who's done so. Stupid Question: do trout inhabit any of the Black Hills streams?

Joe

Joe,
    Does this answer your question?

It gets harder, and harder to get in the car and come home after a trip North. Gotta keep telling myself, it just makes the next trip sweeter.

I could bend your ear for hours about places, people, and fish. Hope I get the chance sometime.

Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread