+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your biggest trout swap - FULL!

Blog Entries

Default Your biggest trout swap - FULL!

This swap is to share the fly that you have caught your largest trout on. Don't be shy, we all understand that what defines a big trout can vary widely depending on your geography/experience. It should be interesting to see what shows up. For this swap, don't worry if you repeat a pattern. Feel free to explain/describe/brag on your catch when you sign up. Since swaps have really slowed down lately, I'm going to leave a lengthy sign up and a long time to get your flies tied.

First 10 to speak for a spot gets one. Be creative with your materials. Signup is open until June 29 or until full. Please read the following, and follow the rules.

Have your 10 flies to me no later than July 30. Tie them early if you need to, but don't be late. There is a really long turn around on this swap and only 10 spots to tie for, so there should be no reason not to be prompt. If they aren't on time, it isn't fair to the other swappers, and I will return them to you. Make sure you have toe tags on your flies (please include your FAOL handle, pattern name and recipe), return packaging and return postage (not metered) included with a crushproof container. I will PM shipping info when you sign up.

I'll sign up with a pheasant tail variation to start with. I caught a 20" rainbow trout with it on a 2 weight. I'll post photos later.

1. ol' blue - ptn variation
    2. flyandtie - copper john - RECEIVED
    3. Blaiseboy - upchuck - RECEIVED
    4. Fly Goddess - hot chocolate - RECEIVED
    5. flyfishmichigan - Madsen Barber Pole - RECEIVED
    6. vulture6 - ant - RECEIVED
    7. sirrom - The Chatooga Special - RECEIVED
    8. ladyflyfisher - foam fly - RECEIVED
    9. MarkKillam - ice dub olive bugger - RECEIVED
    10. Terry Jefferies -chromie - RECEIVED

Pictures are here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1892241...7603238021357/
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Default Re: Your biggest trout swap - 9 spots open

AWW DARN YOU TOOK THE PTN
    UMM LETS SEE..................i'll join in with a copper john sz 14 in black
    i caught a 24" rainbow on my 3 wt with it!!!
    wow that was exciting!

Blog Entries

For this swap, don't worry if you repeat a pattern.
    If your biggest trout came on the PTN, submit it. It is OK on this swap.

Either way, you're in! Welcome aboard. PM on its way with shipping info.

FFMIRSWTNBOF

Blog Entries

Just so we can encourage some additional discussion, here is a pic of mine. I know it isn't too huge, but for me it is my best so far. Not bad for Kansas, though. It was caught on a size 14 PTN using pale yellow punch yarn instead of pheasant tail fibers on the body. It was caught with a home built rod (using a Batson RX8 6'6" 2 weight blank, a custom lace sheoak seat/butt, and chestnut thread for the wraps), a homemade furled leader and a tied fly. That's as close as I can get right now to doing it all myself.

Feel free to add your own stories and/or pics.

FFMIRSWTNBOF

Default Re: Your biggest trout swap - 8 spots open

Blue: My biggest trout have come on large streamers but not everyone likes to cast them. I do have a a couple of favorite patterns that would work well for either trout or warm water species. The patterns were developed by the legendary Adirondak tier Fran Betters. The first one is called the "Usual". It is basically made of thread and the guard hairs from the hind feet of snowshoe rabbits. I would be surprised if the fish in Kansas have ever seen one. A second favorite of mine is a
    take-off from another Betters pattern, the Ausable Wulff. Dick Talleur modified the pattern to substitute woodchuck hair for the deer hair and named it the "Up Chuck" since the wings are split chuck hair tied upright. Your choice, just sign me up, I would recommend that either be tied on a size 10 or 12 hook, once again your choice.

I would like to try this swap. Never done one on FAOL before.
    Very simple fly but I have caught 28"'s to 34" trout on this. The "Hot Chocolate" by Bill Schiess.

welllllllllllllllll my "BIGGEST" TROUT came on a black wooly bugger and was 7 pounds which was also on my 3 weight but i had 2x tippet on and he gave no fight! i might as well have been pulling in a dead stick!

and i have caught 4 4lb fish on ptn's !!!!!!

but the fly im tying for this swap i was fishing on my 7' 3wt and under a indicator with 7x on and the fish peeles off my fly line and 10 yards of backing and did the same thing 2 more times !!
    this fish was abnormaly fat and about 4 pounds
    after three full runs the fish gave up and came to hand! and what a beautiful fish it was ! deep pink line, dark blacks spots, silver belly
    just an awesome fish with lots of power and a great fight ! made my day !

Blog Entries

Default Re: Your biggest trout swap - 6 spots open

You are all signed up. You should have shipping info PM's shortly. I hope I get the chance at some of the monster trout you all have caught. I guess I need to take more road trips for trout.

Blaiseboy,

Let's just go with your first recommendation of the usual. Sounds interesting. **On your recommendation, we'll change to the upchuck**

Fly Goddess,

Welcome to your first swap. Nothing too complicated involved. If you have any questions, feel free to either ask them here or PM me and we'll try to answer ASAP.

FFMIRSWTNBOF

I have done several swaps. I send the grand total flies in an emvelope with anithere envelope with my name, address and I always add a little more postage incase some elses flies weight more. Cool?

Blog Entries

Sounds right to me. Sorry, I misread your previous post. Glad you decided to try swaps here. We seem to have a pretty prolific swapping community on FAOL.

FFMIRSWTNBOF

+ Reply to Thread