+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casing a new stream

1. Default Casing a new stream

Hello,

I am new to fly fishing as well as this site. I apprecaite any help that an inexperienced fisher can get. I addition to being new to the sport, I am new to Rutland VT. I have spent the last few weekends in the stream and have bubkus to show for it. Although frustrated, I am undeterred. By the end of the summer, I am determined to catching fish.

My Question: What is the best way to scope out a new stream or river? I am sure that the time of year, water termperature and flow all make a difference. Most of my fishing is done last minute as there are two youths and a wife that spring me when they can. There is plenty of good water near by.

Thoughts?

Vermont Fisher Cat

Default Re: Casing a new stream

A few weeks ago I scouted out a few sections of the Mad River. I had never fished it before, so I checked my DeLorme Atlas for likely access spots, then drove along Route 100. Every so often there was a turnout or side road that gave me a close look at the river. I got out of the car and looked, took a walk down to the stream, and watched. Some shallow riffles showed no signs of fish because of the lack of overhead cover from hawks, etc. Remember, farm fields coming down to the water's edge make for a lack of tree cover. Okay...so time to look for deeper holes. I looked for boulder structure where bends in the river had scoured some deep areas for fish to hold in, near likely-looking feeding spots. I looked for places where trout could hold and not expend much energy, feed at will, and have cover from predation. I found a couple of likely places with all three.

A week later I was back, this time with the fly rod. I went to my pre-chosen spot, and cast a soft hackle wet fly across and let it swing down current along a likely looking line, ending at the front edge of a deep pool. Then I made a slow, rising retrieve. Third cast brought success. A 12 inch rainbow, which did not seem like a stocked fish due to the color of the fish and vigor of the fight. I changed flies a few times and had success on a hare's ear nymph, as well as a local pattern for Cape Cod ponds that I use at home, which looks like a hare's ear with a wood duck wing added. Over two days, fishing about two hours each day, I caught and released a total of eight rainbows. This is an exceptionally good day for me.

So...get a map, drive the river, get out and look. Do your homework on places that are likely to hold trout. Think like the fish: energy spent, food to eat, and safety. This means bouldery, deeper runs this time of year. Check the fly shops for what is working, check the water temperature, and be patient. Longest cast I made those two days was 30 feet. If I can do it so can you. Good luck.

3. Default Re: Casing a new stream

Thanks for your help. It seems that I need to do a bit more scouting than fishing at first. I will practice thinking like a fish and get a DeLorme atlas. I have two follow up questions:

1. What am I looking for in water temperature?
    2. When you say deeper holes/pools, do you mean 2-3 feet deep or say 8-10 feet?

The folks who showed me said that water temps have a great effect on fish feeding. This time of year, 55 degrees seems to be the magic number, with water rising to that point as the sun hits the river. Later in the season, as water is cooler in the early and late stages of the day, the temp number changes, but it is still important. High temp water turns fish off (generally) so that is why they feed in late afternoon/evening.

Try to find a book like "Prospecting for Trout" from Orvis. Or any good fly fishing book that explains how trout live and feed.

My idea of a "deep pool" is relative. I had success at about 6 foot deep water. I expect that whatever is the deepest area in any section of the stream is the most likely place. If that means 2 or 3 feet, go for it. If the water is low, look for a shady spot behind a log or small boulder, or near an undercut bank.

There is lots of information on the internet, beyond this excellent site, if you want to look for it. Go for it and good luck.

I'll chime in a bit here.

First off: a BIG WELCOME to each of you. You've made a good choice to frequent this board. There have been several times this year that I have caught fish where I wouldn't have before, because of something I learned here!

Second: Prkchps, would that be the Mad River here in Central Ohio? If so, send me a PM sometime if you want company. If you caught 8 rainbows out of the Mad here then that is phenomenal. I've heard of folks fishing for years here and never catching a bow. I had about an 18" hooked and lost him earlier this spring because my hook was rusted and broke!

Third: I recently had the chance to Scout the Mad River also as I just moved here last fall. The very best start I got was from talking to the guys at Mad River Outfitters (the local fly shop here). They provided a map of the entire river with outlined sections that are a good bet and what to watch out for. Find someone who could take you to the river. Ask around here on the board and I'll bet you can find someone who knows the river or knows someone who knows the river. I'm still in the process of scouting out my local streams, so if I happen onto a secret, I'll let you know. Good luck!
    Leave No Trace

Actually, we were talking about the Mad River in Vermont...but thanks for the invitation. Maybe someday my travels will take me there.

Thanks for the welcome, too. This board seems more friendly than some others I have seen.

7. Default Re: Casing a new stream

Thank you both. I am hoping that I can get in a few hours this weekend. I will let you know how I did.

A welcome from here as well. Home is Northfield, MA only 25 minutes from Brattleboro. Used to live up north in Underhill and Woodbury so this is almost a home town discussion.

Temps idea for trout are 55 ~ 65 degrees. Fish hang where they can expend as little energy as possible waiting for food. When there are no hatches they hang in riffles, behind and in front of boulders and with the structure in the bottom of the river. If they are not on top, they are on the bottom. Rarely in the middle of the water column. Holes are relative. They are often cooler 'cause of the depth so trout will go to them especially in the summer. When hatches occur the trout often drop back to the pools to meet the hatching insects there. It is easier for them in the slower water than to fight faster water. They also like protection from predators. Under branches under overhanging banks, in shaded area.

Seek and ye shall find (sooner or later, usually later). Don't fret, it took me the better part of a season to finally catch a trout on a fly. I tried many flies, eventually worms on a fly rod and then finally caught a trout on a fly. That was in Underhill, Vt in the early 70's.

jed

Good to see another MA guy, Jed. The first time I ever fished moving water was up by your way in the Fife Brook section of the Deerfield. With no success whatsoever, I may add. Now that I have actually caught trout in moving water I am heading up to the Lamoille or Winooski on the 15th for some guided fishing, which I hope will be on a dry fly. Since I am from the Cape, but prefer fresh water fishing, this mainly puts me on a pond, which is where I got my wet fly experience. The dry fly has been another matter. I've been on a layoff for a couple of years and have not been fly fishing (horrors) but I am back now, and need dry fly experience. If this trip works out, I will start heading back to the Deerfield, or maybe the Farmington or Housy to check it out.

Fisher, I was recently told (in a bar) that there is a nice stretch of deep trout pools on the Mad River up by Waitsfield, but the water is bordered by a very popular nude beach (it's Vermont). I wonder what it would be like working upstream, false casting a large streamer? Think they'd mind?

PrkChps, they don't mind if your careful with your hooks. I occaisionnally get up to FIfe brook as well. It s pretty section of water. The whole upper C&R sefction is nice but it does get somepressure. I on the other hand go to the Cape yearly for a week to get my Striper fix. Must say its nice living in a place that has so many different types of fishing within a few of hours drive.

jed

+ Reply to Thread