+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Hills Fishing

Default Black Hills Fishing

My Bride and I are going to visit the Black Hills this summer and I have no idea where to go fishing. I can google and all that but I figure that there are a number of folkes here that have been there .
    I dont have a lot of cash so cant hire a guide service. Also cant afford to fish the private places.
    Any sugjestions would be welcome. I figure that we will be in the Mt. Rushmore/Devils tower area and other big tourist spots. If you can use them as reference points I'd be gratefull.
    Thanks ahead of time.
    Perch

Default Re: Black Hills Fishing

Perch - Lucky bugger. I'm jealous. I am originally from SD, and the Hills are where I caught my first trout as a kid. I love it there. Just got back not too long ago. Just a short trip out for a family funeral. Cannot get over how lush and green everything is. They have gotten a lot of nice rain this spring, after years of serious drought.

I am sure Betty Hiner will chime in here, as well as a few others that frequent the Hills. Do what they say, they know the waters as well as anyone. A couple other suggestions.

1) Check out the late Al Campbell's articles on streams in the Hills under the Home Waters section of this website. They are excellent.

2) There is a good fly-fishing/trout fishing guide book for the Hills, do not know its name, but Betty does.

3) Stop into Dakota Angler in Rapid City when you get in. They are a full fly shop and are more than willing to point out some good streams.

Have a great time! Be sure to give us all a report when you get back home.

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Hey Perch,

congrats on going to the Black Hills - I've spent quite a bit of time out there and miss it like the dickens!

First and formost - PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR DIDYMO!!! It's a steam killing weed that is spread from stream to stream in the felt fo your wading boots, on your waders, even on your fly line. So as you go from watershed to watershed - please be careful - there are a couple of simple ways to clean your gear so as not to spread it - it just takes a little time.

Check out this post for a better idea of the Didymo problem and also for some suggestions on places to cast a line when you're out there. Keep in mind that most - if not all - of these places are catch and release.

You can find a pretty good post on didymo and places to fish here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17873&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=bla ck+hills

If you're coming back from Devils Tower - just on the Wyoming side of the border is Sand Creek - one of the most overlooked fisheries out there...not a lot of trees to snag your backcast and plenty of BIG fish in there with not a lot of fishing pressure. You can also fish it pretty easily from the bank if you keep a low profile.

Good luck - PLEASE clean your gear when going from stream to stream and be careful with those little buggers!

(PS - if anyone asks you - there are NO TROUT in the Black Hills - its just a fig newton of your imagination)
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

There're places I could take you ... blindfolded, and turned in circles before leaving ... but I'll just have to trust you!!

Keeping in mind that there are no trouts in the Black Hills ... I'll PM you!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Perch ... PM sent!!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Are you getting the feeling Betty is a CIA agent?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Thankyou all very much for your replies.
    I will give a brief report of what happens(ok, only the success story parts) on our trip north.
    It'll be towards July.
    Hopefully not too hot up there.
    Thankyou again,
    Perch

Betty...are there any Black Hills "secrets" you might share with others who know there are no trout in the Black Hills?

Craig
    Rev. Craig

You mean, like where to find the best pie? Ummm ... best sirloin tips? Least willows?

Hey Betty,
    I know where the fish are ( or are not) but please do PM me re: the pie and sirloin tips.

Mark
    Sorry bout the slight hijack Perch but a man's gotta eat too.

+ Reply to Thread