+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly tying can be a test for your marriage

Default Fly tying can be a test for your marriage

I'm a beginner fly tyer in every sense of the word. In some ways I've gone about it backwards-- because I mostly fish salt water, I started with salt water flies, which may make me the one of the few people who ties flies but has never actually tied a wooly bugger. I'm now starting to go back to the "beginning" and have been reading Tom Rosenbauer's book sections on freshwater flies.

So this morning I'm eating a bowl of cereal, thumbing through Rosenbauer's book and looking at pictures of the hares ear nymph tying instructions. Allie walks past.

Wife: Oh, my god. Is that a bunny face?
    Me: Uh, yeah.
    Wife: You are NOT buying a bunny face!
    Me: Why not? It's just fur.
    Wife: We are not having a cute little bunny's face in the house.

So, do I just skip that pattern? Do I buy a hare's mask and hide it? Do I substitute squirrel? (we're not even going to explore how that will go over! And I'm guessing baby seal fur is right out!)

I guess buck tails are okay because they're from the deer's rear end.

Default Re: Fly tying can be a test for your marriage

(reddish woolybuggers make good cinder worm flys)
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Buy it, hide it, and don't say anything. Once you have accumulated enough materials, she won't know what is new and what isn't.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MuddlerMinnow
    I'm a beginner fly tyer in every sense of the word. In some ways I've gone about it backwards-- because I mostly fish salt water, I started with salt water flies, which may make me the one of the few people who ties flies but has never actually tied a wooly bugger. I'm now starting to go back to the "beginning" and have been reading Tom Rosenbauer's book sections on freshwater flies.

So this morning I'm eating a bowl of cereal, thumbing through Rosenbauer's book and looking at pictures of the hares ear nymph tying instructions. Allie walks past.

Wife: Oh, my god. Is that a bunny face?
    Me: Uh, yeah.
    Wife: You are NOT buying a bunny face!
    Me: Why not? It's just fur.
    Wife: We are not having a cute little bunny's face in the house.

So, do I just skip that pattern? Do I buy a hare's mask and hide it? Do I substitute squirrel? (we're not even going to explore how that will go over! And I'm guessing baby seal fur is right out!)

I guess buck tails are okay because they're from the deer's rear end.
    You and I are in the same boat my friend....Karen feels the killing of cute widdle bunny wabbits has no justification in this world. To make the best of it, I've been a hunter all my life and one of my favourite types of hunting is snowshoe hare hunting, with beagles...this has also been the start for many of our worst "lover's quarrels". She doesn't mind me hunting moose...cause they're ugly. lol Sometimes wives just don't make sense!

Blog Entries

First off, it is from a hare, not a "bunny" (rabbit). When you get it, cut it into pieces and keep them seperate. Put the ears in one bag and keep 'em out of sight. Cut the rest into two or more pieces and put them in seperate ziplocks. Only have a small piece out at any given time. It is not an attempt to be dishonest, just an attempt to avoid being unpleasant and offensive. If an image gives offense, remove the image.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by rookie
    Buy it, hide it, and don't say anything.
    That may have been said in jest, but I would not recommend it if you value your marriage or your tying. There are thousands of patterns you can tie, and the fish don't care nearly as much as your wife apparently does. Tie pheasant tail nymphs. You'll still catch fish and still be married. Buy bags of pre-mixed dubbing. If it comes in a little plastic bag, you'll be fine.

Tying takes time, money and space. I don't know your wife, but you'll probably be fine even if she thinks your new hobby is a little strange, but if she thinks it depends on bunny killing and baby seal bashing, you may be fighting over the time, the money and the space. NOT worth it.
    Tenkara Bum

Ha! I too face some similar situations. I say just buy the mask, and if she sees it, just explain the importance. She'll eventually understand!! Also, I've tied hare's ear with both pheasant tail fibers as tails and wood duck feathers as tails with a lot of success. You can buy hare's ear dubbing pre-packaged at any fly shop to forego the whole mask.

Good luck!

Jigga

I am wrtiting this as a woman tier who read all the stories about
    Peter Rabbit and Bambi to her kids and it is easy to get caught up in
    the cuteness and attaching human personallites of the little
    creatures that are portrayed in the story books. I think they are very cute too. In truth all
    creatures are part of the food chain. I admit I was a little taken
    aback seeing my first hares ear mask! and my daughter at 30 was pretty
    aghast when she saw it in my kit. It is a bit spooky.

I am with EdD and would cut the mask into sections ( which I did) and bag it and keep
    mum about it. Store bought bagged hares ear dubbing has it 's place but one can get a more
    custom desireable selection of hairs and fur with your own clipping/raking right from
    the skin.

fran

Too funny . i don't know if any1 else has said this, but you can get hares mask, and it isn't on the face. Or if it isn't availible, get A hares mask, cut all of the fur off of it, and put it in a bag labled H.M for hares mask.

Also, i live in montana, i have been flyfishing for almost a year, and tying for just as long, and i have fished with a wooly bugger once, and i don't recall ever tying one. Actually it is kind of funny, i mostly tie flies for alaska and i am only going there 1 time this year. i guess i just don't want to run out of flies

You have a couple options:

1. Ask her why you eat chicken.
    2. Get a new wife.

My wife used to keep me well supplied with squirrel tails and at one time bragged by noting she only went for "head shots".

+ Reply to Thread