+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balloon Indicators (bobbers)

Blog Entries

Default Balloon Indicators (bobbers)

Has anyone tried using balloons as strike indicators (bobbers) for nymphing or wet flies? I saw a post about them and it got me to thinking.

So what's the word? Anyone have any experience to relate? (and please go to the other thread to comment on Orvis, I'm simply interested in balloons as indicators)

RRhyne56
    http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com
    http://robinsrumination.blogspot.com

Default Re: Balloon Indicators (bobbers)

Gee, I wonder where they got the idea?.....

The Basics of Shark Fishing
    By: Captain Ray Kelly

..... I have been told by a number of different shark anglers to always use different baits. The best baits I have found are whole bluefish (preferably live), bluefish filets, mackerel, mackerel filets and tuna filets. Use different baits on different rigs. You should also have a heavy leader, about 10-15 feet in length. 100 lb. monofilament, a wire leader, a pre-rigged leader all work. The usual hook size is 6/0 to 10/0. Another important item is your float. You have to float the baits at different depths. Common floats to use are pieces of styrofoam or balloons. I prefer balloons because they're easier to put on the line, and seem to stay better. Some anglers have favorite colors but I'm not sure of their effect, although reds, pinks and whites do show up better on the water. Fish one line about 50 yards from the boat and another at 75 yards. Remember to keep one in close as well, especially for those sharks that come right up to your chum bucket.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

yeah, I have made my own with water balloons, the problem I had was that they twisted the leader on retreive. maybe the way I made them but.......

I've used them - worked like a charm.

The reason we used them was due to usually high (and fast) water. We needed to use a significant amount of weight to stay in the zone - a traditional strike indicator was useless. Don't know why I'd use them for any other reason, though.

I've used them almost exclusivly for two years now , and love 'em . I'm not sure what the Orvis "O" ring is for though . I just tie a knot in 'em and then another to knot them to my line . I keep them small , about the size of a dime . Party supply stores seem to be the best ( read cheapest ) source .

I would think the "O" ring is like the ones on the YARN indicatores. You can take them off easy and use them again.
    As a woman, I can see this advantage when walking the river bank with my top pockets of my vest loaded with pre-inflated balloons
    But, at 12+ dollars I guess I would be hard pressed to throw them away.
    I haven't used them .....yet, but watch guys on the river use them....they are real fun/funny to watch . I guess they are why I haven't tried them yet.

Never tried thm for fly fishing, but used them bait fishing for catfish to place bait on seams in the river(Misissippi).

Blog Entries

thanks y'all, that gives me some data to work with!

RRhyne56
    http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com
    http://robinsrumination.blogspot.com

I have read that the balloon is more sensitive than any other indicator. As stated earlier I also read that they should be inflated to about the size of dime.

I was fishing the Green River in Utah last month. I saw a couple of drift boats with guys using them. But they were blown up to be bigger than a coffee mug. It looked comical.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

I have also seen balloons used on the Green, blown up to the size of a softball.

The guides like them for novices, at that size the balloon has enough buoyancy to hook the fish whether or not the client is paying attention.

If I ever get the the Green on April 1 I'm going to dress in a clown outfit and tie up some balloon animals to use as an indicator! My wife already gets the giggles when I dress in waders and swim fins for a ride on the pontoon boat.

On a more serious note, I like them for deep nymphing, they can float a lot of lead. I try to keep my balloon less than the size of a grape to improve casting. A 'water haul' style cast works very well with this rig.

+ Reply to Thread