+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any ideas for fishing the Patagonia Argentina areas?

Default Any ideas for fishing the Patagonia Argentina areas?

So it looks like I got the go ahead for another fun trip. After Alaska last Fall and Islamorada this Spring Patagonia is the next best thing. My buddy Ryan from AEG Trout Bum diary guys has been telling about how awesome this place is for years and now it't time to see for myself.

We're headed down for 10 days in early November...I know I need to go this month and that month for this/that but this is the only time I can go so I'll have to make the best for the Spring time conditions there.

We're looking at the Lake district region, Esquel and Bariloche areas and maybe possibly Tierra Del Fuego if we get the itch to travel a bit and got for some Steelheads and ocean runners. Any rivers we need to look at? Any lakes or Park areas to try also? I'm really in the initial planning stages so anything would really help..thx

Default Re: Any ideas for fishing the Patagonia Argentina areas?

Dawg,

I fished this region in March 2005 and would love to return someday. My favorite river was Rio Limay which flows out of the big lake close to Bariloche. I have all the research I collect for my trip in digital form including some sat photos in large scale of many of the better rivers. Also read Leitch's book "Flyfishing Patagonia". I rented a car and drove from Bariloche to San Martin de los Andes and it is nice little town. From there I fished the Malleo, Chimihuin and Collon Cura all great rivers. Bring you pancora (crab) patterns and sink tips. I wished I had more time there, it is a huge country. I have some travel tips if you are interested send me an email.

Clouserminnow

www.kureoutdoors.com

Send a message to Rocketfish on this site. Those are his stomping grounds. He's an Argentine native who has spent about 1/2 of his life in Patagonia. And he works out of Esquel and Bariloche during fishing season. Last time we talked, he was heading up to Costa Rica for awhile to fish. So he may not get back to you right away, but you've got time.

Thanks guys for the input and recomendations. I'm very excited about this trip it's just hard to find out much about it out there. I think I found maybe one fishing book to read, the rest were $100 coffee table fishing book types with fancy pics as opposed to fishing info.

Trout-Dawg:

Patagonia is huge and the areas that you are going to visit has many and excellent rivers. For that reason is impossible to say "you must go there". You need you entire life to fish - for example - just the Bariloche area. Lakes, streams, rivers, ponds with wild browns, rainbows, brookies.
    November 1st is just the begining of the fishing season and there's just a few anglers on that time, because is not vacations (summer) time in Argentina. Good time also for the big river-runners (from lakes) as browns and some points with landlocked salmon. High waters also. That's not good or bad, just different if you compare to go in Feb or April...trout will be there always.
    My reccomendation is that you don't lose time with long car travels. The distances are long between those cities and you'll lose time for fishing! Try to stay in one point and be sure that you'll have many spots where to cast your flies around there.

Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread