+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Partridge and Yellow- A Classic Trout Fly

Default The Partridge and Yellow- A Classic Trout Fly

This fly has been catching trout for more than 500 years, but it's my "secret weapon" for post-spawn finicky smallmouth. Give it a try for bluegill, too. I think you'll agree this is a fly that you should always carry.

You can find step-by-step photo instructions and downloadable video at http://www.flyfishohio.com

Enjoy!

Joe C.

Default Re: The Partridge and Yellow- A Classic Trout Fly

Since I don't have any partridge, I sometimes use teal as a substitute. So I guess its a Teal and Yellow.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Simply....The BEST!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

look good i only have olive partridge though so it would be a olivepartridge and yellow
    i bet it would still work though
    lol
    chris

Hi,

Spider (or soft hackle) patterns are wonderful fish catchers that can be fished in just about any manner; up stream, down stream dead drift, down stream swing, retrieved back up stream, fished deep, near the surface, even ginked and on the surface. Donald Nicolson's site (a FAOL member) is a must view location for anyone interested in various styles of wet flies, especially on the various "styles" of wingless wets / spiders / hackled flies / flymphs / etc.

I've had great luck with a "Pritt's water cricket", which is a starling hackle, yellow body with a black rib (optional). Can also be tied with an orange body. Mind you, I've also had good luck on what I call a "woodcock and candy cane", which is a woodcock feather for hackle, and a red and white spiral body, which doesn't look like any bug I've ever seen.

The Partridge and X series are wonderful in just about all combinations. The "white with black specs" feathers look very buggy, but one shouldn't overlook the brown feathers from the partridge as these produce a nice effect also. The dubbed thorax adds a bit of bulk, which probably helps most in faster or off coloured water. I'm not sure on that though, and really need to do some more systematic tests to decide if there is any rhyme or reason behind why the fish will have a preference to take a thoraxed pattern one day and not the next? Similar with adding peacock hurl in front of the hackle as a "head." Some (Sylvester Nemes I think) suggest this may have started as imitating the larger heads of caddis fly nymphs as they rise up to emerge, which sounds good enough to me.

There are some streams I've fished where specific patterns work much better than others while on other streams (or days more like it) almost any spider works. For example, I've caught fish on what was simply a bare hook with a hackle wrapped on it. The floss for the body had come off after being torn by the fish's teeth. Or, when fishing a team of 3 spiders I'll find that fish will take any of the 3 equally. On other days, when fishing the same team of 3 spiders, I'll find that one of the patterns catches all the fish while the others seem to be ignored.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

tied a few today. Hope to try em out on Sat or Sun for gills.

Jeff,
    Do you have a link or URL for Nicolson's site?

Thanks
    Dave

I think this is it http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/

Joe C.

Dick Walle up in Toledo, Ohio has been promoting soft hackles for decades, and it's nice to be reminded they will take species other than trout. There are not many fish that will ignore a soft hackle offering. Thanks for sharing your "secret weapon" Joe.

JoeV
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe V

I might be heading your way in the next couple days - and possibly a few times over the next three or four weeks. Care to fish the "Big Water"? I'm even thinking of a trip up to Presque Isle. Email me off-board.

J

+ Reply to Thread