Wild one;
That is the system we use here, "Down & Across". You can gain a little more upstream by "High Sticking", raising the rod to get as much line out of the fast water as possible. This will slow the drift and allow the fly to get deeper. Slow down, don't be to eager to make your next cast. Remember that the wet fly, nymph, spider, etc. is trailing along in a wide arc and I feel most of the takes are when it straightens out and starts to rise. WarrenP said something to me the other night on the Duck just as I was ready to lift and cast. This made me stop and answer and wouldn't you know it I landed a nice Rainbow!! He then said "I did it to make you slow down, and catch more fish"!
I use floroucarbon furled leaders and tippets to get down deep quickly. Some flys are weighted some are not, it depends on the surface activity. I've drifted a wet fly through an area where a fish was rising and hooked it! If the fish aren't rising I go with a weighted fly. You have to be bouncing on the rocks to be effective!