Steelie D,

You do not want to put your son (I am assuming he is fairly young) in a tandem "sit in" kayak.

You are both new, recovery should you dump with gear etc. could be bad.

If you go with the tandem kayak, a wide stable sit on top is much safer (hard to dump,safer during the event if it happens, EASY to recover if it happens).

Recovery in a rec. sit in takes some practice. PLUS you will have a kid in the water.........hopefullt right side up. It won't happen with a fat wide sit on.

Either that or go with a fat, wide, flat canoe. Either is also much more comfortable to flyfish out of.

In regards to the other reply......pitch, for K.F.S. and their website. First it's a online store with a forum. Second I really don't care for one of the owners and his BS. Third any large shop LIKE THE SPONCER LISTED is going to be able to answer all questions in regards to yaks. Just remember you want wide, stable and safe for flyfishing and let them know that. I don't think a kayak shop has to be flyfishing only. Yaks and yak like crafts have been used for fishing for hundreds of years...........its not new like some of the boards want you to think.