+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 person kayak

My wife and I rented a tandem last week in Cape May, NJ, and didn't have any problems (either with navigation or marital). We (I mean "I") didn't fish, so I can't offer any suggestions for fishing tandems.

But... I am planning on getting two singles (I'm this close from finishing a cedar strip one) because I want to go alone sometimes.

If you haven't, check out this site: [url=http://kayakfishingstuff.com/:069c1]http://kayakfishingstuff.com/[/url:069c1]
    They specialize in fishing kayaks and could give you some great pointers if your looking to primarily use your kayak for fishing. They highly recommend talking with people that fish out of kayaks for opinions and not general kayak shops as there are certain characteristics that make a great fishing kayak.

Dpenrod

Hextall has provided sage advice , with a refernce to <<http://kayakfishingstuff.com/ >> . As stated on their website, they take into consideration the weight, utility, and more importantly the fishing into consideration. Most kyack websites - are just that (!) , kyack users who may want to fish. But if you intend to fish, and the kyack is your means of transportation, then the fishing is most important and the kyack is the means to get you there. And you need to select the kyack according to your fishing needs.
    I never thought much about secondary stability, much less , what it is. My biggest issue was to chosde a SIK (Sit In Kyack) as opposed to a SOT (Sit On Top). Other issues such as having a 'wet well' , 'skegs' or 'no skegs' ,or storage capacity,or whether to have scuppers are discussed; fishing from a kyack is not just a matter of adding a 'rod holder'.
    Thanks Hextall - you have saved me from probably making a several hundred dollar mistake. Thats what this forum on FAOL is all about - mutual help / education / fellowship.
    Dadflyer

3. Default

Could you please expand on the reasoning between a "sit in" rather than a "sit on" kayak? I'm shopping currently and before I go any further I have to resolve this question.

Thanks.

JC,

Are those guys primarily kayak salesman? I couldn't find anything on their website that had anything to do with fishing... why'd they sponser here?

I'm not sure if you've been able to check out the link I had above, or talk to the guys who run that site, but I talked with them at the Sommerset NJ flyfishing show, and they really know there stuff (maybe a future sponser?).

5. Default

J. Castwell

"As we do have a kayak company who was willing to pay for sponsorship here on FAOL would you please take a look at his page on here? I was hoping at least one of you guys would suggest that by now"

Mr. Castwell, I for one was not aware of that. With that said I do not feel it is my job to point such things out anyways. 95% of my replys are simply helping others by answering questions on subjects, I may have knowledge on. Thats my contribution, making sure sponcors are "suggested" or acknowledged is not. I would think that job would be for those who promote / sell the sponsors space.
    Regards,
    Bill

openrod,
    check out this website; [url=http://kayakfishingstuff.con/default.asp:168b3]http://kayakfishingstuff.con/default.asp[/url:168b3]

Lots of good info with a BB on Kayak fishing

------------------
    Don

JC,

That's great they are successful... but irrelevant to my question. I couldn't find anything on their website that has anything to do with picking a kayak that will primarily be used to fish out of.

Besides paying the fee, why are they a sponser?

I know this question borders on being rude and accusatory, but I'm really being genuine in my question. I know you've said that you screen and invite sponsers, so why'd you invite them to sponser your ff site?

With regard to the solo/tandem debate, does anyone have experience with kayaks that are both solo AND tandem? I am refering to the Widerness Systems Pamlico in particular. It allows the seats to be moved within the cockpit to allow for one or two paddlers.
    [url=http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks/rec/pamlico160t.php:bdb49]http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks/rec/pamlico160t.php[/url:bdb49]

This would seem particularly useful in my case where I'd like to take my son sometimes, but not everytime and can't really afford two separate kayaks. Thanks!

------------------
    "Dad can we go fishing?"

"Yes. Of course we can."

Say yes, always say yes.

9. Default

Steelie D,

You do not want to put your son (I am assuming he is fairly young) in a tandem "sit in" kayak.

You are both new, recovery should you dump with gear etc. could be bad.

If you go with the tandem kayak, a wide stable sit on top is much safer (hard to dump,safer during the event if it happens, EASY to recover if it happens).

Recovery in a rec. sit in takes some practice. PLUS you will have a kid in the water.........hopefullt right side up. It won't happen with a fat wide sit on.

Either that or go with a fat, wide, flat canoe. Either is also much more comfortable to flyfish out of.

In regards to the other reply......pitch, for K.F.S. and their website. First it's a online store with a forum. Second I really don't care for one of the owners and his BS. Third any large shop LIKE THE SPONCER LISTED is going to be able to answer all questions in regards to yaks. Just remember you want wide, stable and safe for flyfishing and let them know that. I don't think a kayak shop has to be flyfishing only. Yaks and yak like crafts have been used for fishing for hundreds of years...........its not new like some of the boards want you to think.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

For Bill1227

Re:"Either that or go with a fat, wide, flat canoe. Either is also much more comfortable to flyfish out of."

In regards to a canoe with those characteristics, for two tall adults 140 & 215 lbs. respectively & gear for a day trip.
    Mostly mid to large lakes, some mild moving water, no salt.
    Would you have any recommendations for specific makes & models?

Thanks, Dave

+ Reply to Thread