Here is a story that is somewhat embarassing, but whatever. I'm old enough to take the heat.
Two weeks ago I was out fishing for Striped Bass in the Ct. River. I was using an 8 wt. and not getting any response at all. We saw a few but that was about it. My friend and I decided to seize the opportunity and move to a local pond for gills and LM Bass so we loaded up the boat and off we went. I switched to my 6 wt. and all was good. Pete had left all his rods on his boat and when we moved colse to shore one of his rods got tangled up in the trees. I put mine down, untangled his rod and then pushed away from the trees. Pete calls out "look, your rod seperated"... wrong. My rod broke. And I am expecting to be gone in a couple of weeks to Maine, wanting this rod in my quiver.

Next day I pack it up and mail it out with a 3 day shipping time. A couple of days later I call Elkorn and leave a message that I'd like to talk to someone about the warranty turn around time. Note: Elkhorn warranties its rod against my stupidity. Ten minutes later, Brian (the owner) calls me back. He's got my rod in and is in the process of packing it up to ship it back with the replacement section. Seven days from the day I shipped the rod out it is back in my hands. Thats 6 days for the US Post office to do its job (exactly as they said it would be) and less than 8 hours turn around time for Elkhorn.

Well the day before I got that rod back I am doing a hurry up and fish deal before work. I suit up in waders etc, grab my rod and reach in to get my sun glasses. I close the door and.... **&$%*&. The rod failed the slam-it-in-the-door test. All four sections were caught in the door, one was broken. Again, I go through the drill and send the rod off. On the third day, I get a call again from Brian at Elkhorn. He said that he did not have the section I needed with the proper label. The same section is used in two configurations and he would be happy to send me one, noting that the label is wrong but the section is correct. Do I care...not for a nano-second. I give him the okay and the rod is turned around again within 8 hours.

Is this good customer service. No, this is MAGNIFICENT customer service. I will have both rods for my trip, thanks to Elkhorn.

Is it any wonder that they are sponsors here or that I own 5 of their rods. FYI they are also nice rods to cast, have nice hardware and are affordable. Yes this is a ringing endorsement of a company that deserves it.

www.elkhornflyrods.com

PS. I told Brian that I would try real hard not to break any more rods. I haven't given a rod the slam-it-in-the-car-door test in over 30 years and hope not to do it again for another 30 years.

jed